• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 890FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rossotron

Registered
I am anticipating the release of AMD's Bulldozer line. In the meantime, I want to upgrade my P4 chip. Newegg lists this motherboard as AM3+. Will I be able to use a 955 BE chip even though it's a socket AM3?

:rock:

There was a thread on this recently. Seems to me someone said they found out that the AM3+ CPUs would be downwardly compatible with socket AM3. This has generally been AMDs approach. But please don't take my input as the final word.

I'll try to contact ASRock and see what they say. It would be awesome if its backwards compatible with socket AM3 chips.

That's the major difference. Asrock claims engineering issues using only (bios or UEFI?) firmware updated AM3 boards and not AM3+ boards. Btw I ordered that mobo and can pass my experiences as soon as it arrives. asrock20am3.jpg

thanks that would be great!

i'm hopeful i can use the AMD 955BE chip since newegg lists chips compatible with it are Phenom IIs Athlon IIs and Sempron 100 series CPUs.

Last edited:
AMD isn't claiming BD will work with AM3 boards, only AM3+, and even though the socket is AM3+ I'm not so sure the board electronics are (in fact, I'm betting they're not).

Probably true and surely creepy imho.

I may not have answered the original question you asked as I reread the thread. What I said was that I believe socket AM3+ CPUs will be downwardly compatible with socket AM3 boards, not the other way around. Just as now socket AM3 CPUs are downwardly compatible with socket AM2+ boards.

Yeah, unless there is a change in the memory technology employed it usually goes both ways.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me answer my question.

890FX here i come!

Back