• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7 920 with MSI X58 Pro (MS-7522)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noodle217

Registered
I have a stable (ran prime95 overnight and while at work with no errors) overclock at about 4.0 GHz and I would like to get it past that if at all possible. Up to the 4.0 I was increasing the base clock or whatever and messed around with voltage a little bit. I try to bring the base clock up to 195 from 191 and within about 7-10 minutes on Prime95 the computer freezes up. With the voltages I have the cpu voltage at +.210, the cpu vcore is 1.480, cpu pll voltage 1.60, qpi 1.16, dram 1.47, NB 1.25, and the ICH is on auto. Most of those I haven't messed with, I think I just increased the CPU voltage and the NB. I'm new to overclocking so I don't know exactly what's needed...

If you don't have good (and I mean really good) water cooling the 17-920 is very hard to hold above 3.8 to 3.9. My vcore at 3.8 is 1.2 volts. When overclocking take little steps. A big step could be your last.

If you don't have good (and I mean really good) water cooling the 17-920 is very hard to hold above 3.8 to 3.9. My vcore at 3.8 is 1.2 volts. When overclocking take little steps. A big step could be your last.

It really depends on your chip. I have mine @ 4Ghz on 1.275v with a CM GeminII S, a 30 $ cooler. My temps at full load are high, but, you wont really get 100% utilisation for 8 hours.

I turned it down. I read a different guide, not that one. I think I'm going to start from scratch when I have the time and follow that guide. Like I said, first time through I just kind of went through and turned stuff up knowing only vaguely what it did. I went in small steps, but thankfully I haven't destroyed anything yet. How much (roughly) does it cost to upgrade to water cooling? I'm hardly even considering it. I have an antec 300 case, which I don't think works the best with liquid cooling without some modding.

Yeah I feel ya, I have an Antec Super lanboy ATX mini box. Not room for much and most of my loop is mounted on the outside. As far as pricing goes it depends on what your goals are. You could pickup a decent entry level water loop that could fit your case like the XSPC Rasa 750 kit or H70 readily around $100- $125. I would personally go w/ the XSPC rasa750, it is expandable for later upgrades where the H70 and alike are not w/ out heavy modding.

the 300 "should" also fit some of the better air cooling as well.. true, meghalem, noctua for 100 or less

I have a Tuniq Tower 120 that I put in last fall. I also have a couple case fans coming hopefully on Wednesday with a fan controller.

With the voltages I have the cpu voltage at +.210, the cpu vcore is 1.480, cpu pll voltage 1.60, qpi 1.16, dram 1.47, NB 1.25, and the ICH is on auto. Most of those I haven't messed with, I think I just increased the CPU voltage and the NB. I'm new to overclocking so I don't know exactly what's needed...

Do you know if your cpu is a C0 or a D0? Check in CPU-Z. Also looking at your voltages, I think your vcore is high (like they mentioned) your PLL is way low, and your qpi could possibly use a slight bump. Set your PLL to 1.81, and reduce your vcore to 1.3... Try a reboot with your bclk at 190 and see if you can get into windows. If you do, run prime (as the guides say) for 15 minutes at least to get some heat soak on the cpu and see if it fails, or you blue screen. Would you be able to list your ram also?

Yeah ouch with the voltage.

I can hit 4.2Ghz with 1.28V bios without HT on. I'm running currently 3.67Ghz with 1.14V bios. Depending on the chip (D0's do better typically) that you can get good OC results with nothing over 1.35V (1.4V max) which i believe is the typical threshold. Yes I run on air and even at 4.2Ghz the temps still don't exceed 80C in LinX for testing (perfectly fine for a good OC).

Start with say 1.25-1.3V and start going from say 3.6Ghz and move upwards in testing til you find the wall and really stress that puppy to make sure it can stand it with the voltage, let alone the temps. Keep under 85C ideally during stress testing using P95 or LinX (LinX stresses the system more and quicker which is what I typically use for stability testing now).

I know this is old, but I pulled out my MSI 7522 and OC'ed to 4.0 last night

Hello,

I am reviving an ancient thread, but I recently took some leftover parts and built a gamer box with spare parts.

One of these spares was an Intel Xeon x5670 6core CPU, stock at 2.93MHz.

I also has a newish MSI X58 7522 mobo, and the RAM to go with it at 24GB. I used 4 SSD's in RAID-0 for the drive.

After messing around, I got a stable 4015MHz clock on my system, ran P95 overnight. Temps are low, with CPU around 60C with load, and the NB stays around 52C. Vids are a pair of PNY GTX760's in SLI.

Here are my settings:

MSI 7522 x58 Motherboard OC
CPU = Xeon 1366 2.93 x5670=, OC'ed to 4015MHz
EIST = Auto
C1E = Enabled
Turbo = Disabled
CPU Base Frequency = 182
DRAM timing mode = unlink
XMP = Disabled
Memory Ratio = 4 , 1384MHz
Vdroop = Low Vdroop
CPU Voltage = 0.310
CPU PLL = 1.98
QPI = 1.40
DRAM = 1.62
IOH = 1.30 (auto)
ICH = 1.70 (auto)
Spread Spectrum = Enabled

Thoughts? I am working on lowering the voltages some, but this has been stable thus far.

Dave

Hello,

I am reviving an ancient thread, but I recently took some leftover parts and built a gamer box with spare parts.

One of these spares was an Intel Xeon x5670 6core CPU, stock at 2.93MHz.

I also has a newish MSI X58 7522 mobo, and the RAM to go with it at 24GB. I used 4 SSD's in RAID-0 for the drive.

After messing around, I got a stable 4015MHz clock on my system, ran P95 overnight. Temps are low, with CPU around 60C with load, and the NB stays around 52C. Vids are a pair of PNY GTX760's in SLI.

Here are my settings:

MSI 7522 x58 Motherboard OC
CPU = Xeon 1366 2.93 x5670=, OC'ed to 4015MHz
EIST = Auto
C1E = Enabled
Turbo = Disabled
CPU Base Frequency = 182
DRAM timing mode = unlink
XMP = Disabled
Memory Ratio = 4 , 1384MHz
Vdroop = Low Vdroop
CPU Voltage = 0.310
CPU PLL = 1.98
QPI = 1.40
DRAM = 1.62
IOH = 1.30 (auto)
ICH = 1.70 (auto)
Spread Spectrum = Enabled

Thoughts? I am working on lowering the voltages some, but this has been stable thus far.

Dave
You mean 1.310 cpu voltage? If so, its a little high. I run around 1.15v at 3.8ghz. Pll seems high. Ive seen 1.81 and still have mine set to auto but thinking to tweaking it up for stability. I run 1.38 qpi but have seen 1.40 being normal/high for overclock. Feel free to pm me if you wanna compare numbers as im running a similar chip

Back