• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madengineer

Hey all...I'm looking for a new PC on ebay...Mostly cause i cant afford to buy one at a local store...Or have the knowledge to build one..Or the time.

If somebody could please suggest a good computer on ebay for sale...That is less then 1000$ including any updates.

Requirements.....Must be atleast an I5 or equiv
needs 8gb of ram DDR3
2 TB Sata 3 HDD
USB 3.0
Decent power supply..

I know its difficult...But i need some help.

Thanks

PS the computer is needed for occaisional gaming...And lots of storage.

Sata 3 makes no difference to a normal HDD. Only SSDs actually benefit from it. i5's are not all the same. There are i5 with clarkdale, lynnfield, and sandybridge cores. Just saying, you should know what you're getting. If you want though, we can give you a list of stuff to buy. You can put it together easily. It's like lego almost. There are tutorial videos. You will do better than buying used or new OEM that way.

Computers not actually for me...But my brother....And he doesnt want to risk stuffing anything up by buying the peices and putting it together.lol

I sure as hell wouldnt get one on Ebay either. If you arent going to build it yourself, then get it from a legit OEM, like Dell or something. There is also CyberPC and many other places.

Also, it would be most helpful if you could list a budget than maybe more people would be inclined to help, and have better help, than suggesting a $2k computer if you have a $1k budget.

+1 to theocnoob... which i5? Several different ones (see how the budget thing comes in?)!!

I sure as hell wouldnt get one on Ebay either. If you arent going to build it yourself, then get it from a legit OEM, like Dell or something. There is also CyberPC and many other places.

Also, it would be most helpful if you could list a budget than maybe more people would be inclined to help, and have better help, than suggesting a $2k computer if you have a $1k budget.

+1 to theocnoob... which i5? Several different ones (see how the budget thing comes in?)!!

On ebay...The computer i suggested is less then 1k.....

Oops, you did list that in your first post. My bad.

But again I would not buy a system off Ebay...

no ebay, if you want ebay help your in trouble.... if you dont think your qualified to build it who says the schmuck on ebay is qualified to build it? And at least if you have issues with your build YOU did it and YOU can trouble shoot it, otherwise pay the B&M premium

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_GTS/

That costs about 100 buckmore than the rig in my sig, does not have a SSD, has alot less GPU, no name PSU. so your paying extra for less.... build it yourself

Last edited:
Definitely stay away from Ebay pc's. I have to say your best bet if you do not want to build it is to visit a Microcenter if you are close to one. Do you know anyone in your neighborhood who builds computers like high school kid next door? I'm sure if you bought parts, pizza and gave him $75 he could build you a nice system.

If not then call a specialized custom vendor like iBuypower, Cyberpower or any other but just do your research first. Lastly call one of the big three computer makers :( Dell, HP and Gateway and make sure you uninstall all of their crapware first. Make sure the case that it comes with has plenty of room in it for upgrading the video card though. No slimline cases or anything like that.

I would see if anyone here lives close to you and maybe they could help you build a nice rig. Try the General Discussion Forum.

Also, if this is occasional gaming and lots of storage, why 8Gb ram and an i5 or better.... this just seems like you dont really know WHAT you need yet too me....

I would see if anyone here lives close to you and maybe they could help you build a nice rig. Try the General Discussion Forum.

+1 I know if you're anywhere near me (SE Virginia) I'll help you and your brother pic everything, and build it for you. I'm sure a lot of us would do it purely because we enjoy it. That also leaves you someone near by that can help troubleshoot, and if you don't have the time upfront, teach you how to build and what to look for. You'll get DOUBLE the amount of machine for the same price if you custom build. And the parts will usually be better quality.

My roommate just went out and got a dell and paid $1600 for it. thing is that was without monitors n such. And my stem BLOWS it away. The computer i built myself cost right about 1k prob less now due to prices going down.

You can get 2x the power with less cost building it yourself. I beleive Microcenter will build you a system if you want them to, im not sure. but if you were in north Atlanta GA area, i'd help ya out.

I think my roommate is going to take his new dell back and let me build him one :) You can see the spect in my signature for my system

I live in australia....So i dont think any of you could build it for me.lol

If you jack something up you can always rma or something. Just remember that building your own pc will always be cheaper.

If you've ever played with legos you've put together something more complicated than a computer. Choosing parts is FAR more difficult and time consuming. But we can help. Throwing it together is a matter of putting a triangle in a triangle block, and a square in a square. Ok, maybe that's a little bit of a stretch, BUT, seriously MOST of it is that easy. The hardest part is installing your CPU and thermal paste/cooler. You'll get twice the machine for the same price, or the same amount of machine for half the price. Either way you look at it, its a win.

I live in australia....So i dont think any of you could build it for me.lol

Australia actually has a very vibrant computer enthusiast community. You could definitely buy the parts and find one (a computer person) to build it for you. You'd have much better parts and come in at maybe 60% the price of an equivalent from a name brand.
Maybe even less.

Really, it's not complicated. I know it seems complicated. It isn't. If the wiring doesn't have to be pretty most people here can assemble a computer from scratch in under 30 minutes.

Parts only fit one way, they all slot in place with the exception of about 16 screws that are all very straightforward.

You have a case, a power supply, a motherboard, a cpu, a graphics card, memory, and a DVD and hard drive. Everything just slots into everything else except for the motherboard that screws onto a mount in the case, and the drives as well. They are then connected to the rest of the computer via very simple cables that just slot into place like the HDMI connector on your TV. Then it's just a few power cables here and there, all very obvious (this one has 8 square connectors, it goes in the hole with 8 connectors). It's almost impossible to screw up, honestly.

Another option you may have is something similar to what I have near by- it's a specialty chain called Canada Computers that only sells PC parts and they will build your system for you. You buy the parts, bring them to the build counter, give them seventy bucks, and they do a really sweet job with really nice clean wiring etc. Usually in 12 hours or less turnaround.

We're not muscle car heads (not that there's anything wrong with that) telling you to get the 8 cylinder because it's got more power and so what if it costs more-- we want to A)save you money while B)getting you better parts for that money than you'd get from an OEM. It's a fair amount of $ to make a good computer. Usually $1000 or more. Please reconsider the build it yourself option. Don't waste your money.

Also - yes applying thermal paste and an aftermarket cooler can be annoying, but you don't have to. You can start with the stock cooling that just clicks in place and everything is preapplied. You don't need to know what I'm talking about right now to be able to do this. They actually had a competition on European TV called supermodels vs nerds or something and a very... 'dim' young lady who'd never seen the innards of a computer actually managed to swap out a CPU. You can do it.

Last edited:
Back