• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My BIOS corrupted on me?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slychilde

Hey guys,

I was doing some case-feng-shui work, moving my cables around for better air flow and what not. Took out the ata100 cable on the second channel and put in a ata66 because win2k kept not showing my HP 8x burner when it was running on ata66...anyways put it all back together case on etc. and I push the power button....

Bios rom checksum error(!)

So, I jumped on my mom's box, got on the net got the KVTA2AA4.bin bios to flash it and AWDFLASH.exe proggie, and made a 98 boot disk. Well, I put the disk in and it says NTLDR is missing! I checked my win2k cd and lo and behold there was a NTLDR file on there, but...I can't get it to work! I could really use your guys' help.

PS. I do have a disk with the default bios, also if that helps

I got the same board as yours and same problem : bios check sum error after each time I tried to clean the bios by short JP5 and reboot. I updated bios to 2aa4 now, doesn't matter,Winme and Win2K won't install-Always some kind of different windows protection error or corrupted files along the way. It's a dead computer now.

I checked VIA forums and seems VIA chips are causing all kinds of problems aross all kinds of mobos. there are major flaws in VIA KT133 chipsets.

I hate Anandtech.com now since I have read many of their review articles praising Via motherboards and boasting stability etc..before I go out and get this soyo in to build around. I would like to see one of the reviewers sit in front of my computer and install the damn OS for me!

Good luck! I am thinking seriously going back to Intel esp. Piiis

:(

I fixed it! Somehow, some weird stuff was going on with the IDE cables/channels and it was creating the corrupted bios message. Fortunately, all I had to do was put everything back the way it was before and put, and put in a different secondary channel cable. I wonder if that's a known bug or something :eh?:

Back