• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS3 1600 4gb kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigben6

Bought this cause my gskill is trash according to memtest86+

In new egg reviews some people had to over volt 1.5 -- > 1.65

Anyone else have his that found this useful? Seems fine thus far and i checked it in memtest prior to reloading OS....

Newegg reviews. 'nuff said.

Its useful if you plan on overclocking it really, but thats it. If one has to overvolt for stability at stock speeds, one needs to send the sticks back for RMA instead of complaining about it on newegg. ;)

I've got the 8GB kit sitting in the floor at home waiting for my rebuild that will commence early next week. I'll let you know how they do on stock voltage ;)

Bought this cause my gskill is trash according to memtest86+

In new egg reviews some people had to over volt 1.5 -- > 1.65

Anyone else have his that found this useful? Seems fine thus far and i checked it in memtest prior to reloading OS....

Yeah I had to overvolt it. If you select the XMP profile in the bios then it will auto-overvolt and set the timings. If the memory isn't running at 1.65 I am not stable at 1600. Been running the memory like this for about a month, no problems yet.

Are you sure that's not what the XMP profile is supposed to be at? Therefore not called over volting? Thats just the XMP voltage.

Last edited:
Well call it what you want to, you can't run XMS3 1600 with the standard 1.5 Volts. I think XMP is factory overvolting the memory. Since the sticks run by default at 1.5V and 1066mhz I had to "overvolt" them by selecting the profile. The profiles don't seem very Xtreme to me either, 9 latency across the board and 1600 is not exactly groundbreaking.

Voltages for memory vary from 1.35 to 1.65. If the profile says 1.65 for 1600, then thats standard for those sticks and that speed. Overvolting that would be 1.66+. ;)

Potato, Potatoe. :)

Voltages for memory vary from 1.35 to 1.65. If the profile says 1.65 for 1600, then thats standard for those sticks and that speed. Overvolting that would be 1.66+. ;)

Potato, Potatoe. :)

Looks like I have much to learn then :)

The stock voltage for memory does determine overclockability to some extent though, right? A 1.35V ram module will generally have more headroom?

@ Bigb - post a screenshot of the CPUz SPD tab please...

Looks like I have much to learn then :)

The stock voltage for memory does determine overclockability to some extent though, right? A 1.35V ram module will generally have more headroom?
Not really, no. If that was the case, benchers (like me) would always own 1.35v sticks. We dont. Mine are 1.65v @ 2k 8-8-8-24. ;) At 1600Mhz its 1.5v 9-9-9-28.

ON SB though, memory doesnt seem to like to scale very much.

Mine clearly list themselves as 1600 and 1.5v tho I am currently at1333

Are you even running Corsair XMS3? If yes then update your sig. If you are running the RAM we are talking about then you may just have excellent modules. Mine aren't stable below 1.65. If you don't mind me asking, why are you underclocking the modules?

@ Bigb - post a screenshot of the CPUz SPD tab please...

Not really, no. If that was the case, benchers (like me) would always own 1.35v sticks. We dont. Mine are 1.65v @ 2k 8-8-8-24. ;) At 1600Mhz its 1.5v 9-9-9-28.

ON SB though, memory doesnt seem to like to scale very much.

Doesn't voltage affect the amount of heat that is produced? That is what I always thought.

Those are some nice specs you have there, but can you feel the difference 1.6-2k? Memory always gets low priority status in hardware magazines I read. I also don't understand why you need it for overclocking. You can always lower the memory multiplier right?

Yes, voltage affects heat.

do you understand what the benchmarking team does? the object is to get the lowest times or most frames in given benchmarks. having faster memory or overclocking achieves these goals.

Look on the front page (or oin my news profile) for my benchmarking buffet article. It talks about Hwbot (where we compete) the benchmarks etc.

As far as 2k vs 1.6k with gaming and such. not really. very little changes if any. thats why i saw get 1600 vs 2k in all my threads.

But we are hijacking bigben's thread. take a look in the bencng section a bit.

No worries on the hijack, its all interesting to me...

picture.php

Pretty clear to me though i did notice one thing, at 1600 it lists itslf as XMS not a jedec #x

His memory is 1.5. If you have an issue with your ram start anoher thread and post the spd and memory tabs of Cpuz.

Like I said above, if its not stable at the speed and timings and voltage that the spd tab says, u need to return the memory.

I'll double check it.... but i was reading reviews before i even reinstalled my OS and alot of reviews say 1.65 so i looked ot make sure it and it said 1.5v

I'll double check it.... but i was reading reviews before i even reinstalled my OS and alot of reviews say 1.65 so i looked ot make sure it and it said 1.5v

Your best bet is always the manufacturer. Is this the kit you have?

http://www.corsair.com/memory/xms-classic/xms3-ddr3-memory/cmx4gx3m2a2000c9.html

If yes then scroll down, in the overview section note the following:

Product Description

4GB XMS Memory kit for dual channel systems, 2000MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V

Back