• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media player flickering but no picture, help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I am curious if anyone else has encountered this before.

Any media player I use will not work. I was thinking that maybe it was a RAM problem. But now I feel even though I don't even have nearly as many tabs opened as I usually do, but the media player still cannot play the videos. Usually this happens when the media player does not have enough RAM to load properly and so the screen will change colors and it cannot display the video picture, voice is no problem. So I am wondering if I am not running that much stuff are their other possible things this could be?

Thanks!

What OS are you running? It doesn't sound like a RAM problem as it is not a problem that insufficient RAM will cause, but I suggest you add another 2GB of RAM as you should see a big improvement in performance.

What media players have you tried? What videos are you trying to play? What format are they in?

Running Windows 7.

Can't add anymore RAM, maxed out now at 8GB. But I have to be honest, I feel the 2GB of ram I bought 3 years ago with the computer was much better quality than the 8GB I replaced it with...

The media player I am using is Windows media player, but the problem effects the other one I have also which is AllPlayer.

You're going to have to tell me what format the videos are in as it sounds like a codec issue.

You know I had been thinking about that also, but the videos that were working before are now not working.. And there are tons of them...

All formats.

mpeg
avi
asf
wmv
mov

All...

I just did one update, but to no avail, and now am doing the divx you reccomended, but I suspect that it will not work. If I close out my brower the videos will work... it has to do with memory or something related to it, but I am not sure what...

Ok, well I installed them and also installed the DIV player, I shall eat my words, I can play the videos, however, they only work in the DIV player now, the other players are still flickering colors, with no video... And DIV is taken up way too my CPU it is locking my pc even...

Even with DIVX player, the videos are taking up loads of memory and they cannot play evenly without skipping and bogging down, and I have little opened.. There seems to be another problem somewhere...

You might try vlc. It's my prefered player, and it uses different codecs (open source ones) so maybe that will solve your problem?

(also this probably should be in Microsoft Operating Systems, if a mod moves this maybe someone else will have more advice/a solution? :shrug:)

Generally speaking some of these issues will clear up by upgrading to a VDPAU capable video card

I dont know what the terminology for this is in Windows but its a technology that offloads a large amount of decoding to your video card.

the 82XX 84XX 88XX and 9XXX + series nvidia cards all do this and you can get them cheap .. $25 or there abouts. I am sure ATI has something similar for Windows though I am not aware of that either....

And like Shelnutt said, this probably should be moved to the M$ section

This has not been a problem though until recently, like the last week or so... Before it worked fine even with lots of other stuff running, though there did become a point to where the video would be bogged down or behave in the same way if I had lots of stuff running. But right now I have less than 3/4 of what I usually have running and it is acting like this which makes no sense. I dont want to upgrade my video card only for this. If I buy a new computer, then perhaps, but not right now. There has to be something else going on that is causing this issue. I paid about 140 bucks for my video card when I put together this last pc, the video card is quite good.

Actually your video card is very outdated. (if its the same as your signature)

For general office use its fine but it does not full under the "quite good" category.

Aside from that, it sounds like something funny is going on in Windows

to which my help becomes... less then helpful

My media centre background has a slogan "I don't do Windows" (its a french maid)

Video card may be outdated, but last week everything was working fine, no problems, even new videos, no problems. Then.. it all started to act up. So, even being out dated, I don't think a problem like this could just surface out of no where.

Well, then it looks like I am stuck, unless someone else can figure out what's going on...

Back