• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom ii x2 560 unlocking and OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenLeaf

Registered
Hi guys, hope i'm posting this right but here it goes. I'm currently building a ground up desktop and running the phenom ii x2 560 BE with the plans too unlock the 2 cores and make it into a quad. After unlocking these cores i then plan too over clock too atleast 3.6ghz or 3.7ghz nothing overboard i want everything to be stable and last along time this chip is at 3.3ghz stock. I plan on running a corsair 600 watt(cx600) and was wondering if that would be enough after overclocking too power everything. i'll leave you with the pc specs that i plan on using.
msi 870 g45 motherboard
evga gtx 460 1 gb
4 gb ripjaw ram ddr3
corsair 600 watt psu
500gb hdd
3 120 mm fans
cd/dvd combo drive

:welcome: to your new home lol.

I bought a x2 555 BE with the intention of unlocking and overclocking it. I got it to run as a quad, but unfortunately I couldn't keep it stable. It would run for as a quad for a few days and at some point I would get spontaneous reboots. It drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot it and finally I figured it out when I looked into event viewer. In the log file the errors were reported as "WHEA-logger, Event ID 19, Processor ID: 2 (the third core)". The errors were always linked to the third core and that's when I knew it was defective.

Crazy thing is I could overclock the hell out of it when it was a dual core, but if I tried to unlock and overclock on top of it...that was just double trouble for me.
I'm sure if I spent a lot more tedious time into researching the problem I might have found a workaround solution, but I got frustrated in trying to keep it stable as a quad so I went ahead and bought the x4 965 when I came across a really good deal on it.

Unlocking didn't work out too well for me, but don't let that discourage you from trying. Despite how this may seem I'm really not trying to rain on your parade. Some people can unlock and keep their duals as stable quads while others, such as myself, didn't get the luxury. I think my old 550 was one of the processors which was originally constructed as a quad, but it failed AMD's quality assurance testing so they disabled the back two cores and sold it as a dual core.

All in all unlocking is a crap shoot (as in playing a game of craps), just roll the dice and see what happens...just don't come out of this expecting it to unlock and stay as a quad. Hopefully it will stay stable, but realistically you need to be prepared if it doesn't pan out as planned. I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

You're planning to unlock and overclock? Unlocking in itself is going to raise temps a good bit because of the additional two cores and overclocking is going to bring in its own heat buildup. I really should take a minute to emphasize that you take the time to put time and research into finding a good cooling solution. For the love of God, please don't attempt any of this on the stock cooler.

I like Corsair, I've used their ram. Never tried any of their psu's (I'm an Antec user), but they're pretty good from what I hear.

If you have any concerns or doubts about power requirements then use this PSU calculator (found on Antec's site): http://www.antec.outervision.com/

I like their PSU calculator because it takes into consideration not only your cpu, ram (number of sticks and type, and gpu, but optical drives, usb devices, and additional pci expansion cards as well. They even have a section for overclocking goals to factor in for your oc wattage. You should be good to go with that psu, but should you need a little reassurance then the calculator is there to help.

I don't know what 120mm fans you're planning on buying, but people underrate and underestimate the quality of their fans all the time. I recommend NMB-MAT Panaflos (harder to find now) or the Silverstone FM121. Anything Silverstone is good really.

I'm just rambling on aren't I? Damn, I must be bored.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Hi

I have a amd phenom ii x2 560 CPU and a motherboard:
msi 970a-g43
I

I set up the face unlock option enabled, but unfortunately did not change:(:(

Please guide

Thank

You sir need to start your own thread related to unlockibg your cpu on your board. The person that started this thread is not asking about your board and how it might work.

Thank you.

Hi

I have a amd phenom ii x2 560 CPU and a motherboard:
msi 970a-g43
I

I set up the face unlock option enabled, but unfortunately did not change:(:(

Please guide

Thank

Thank

This set up is on my motherboard:
84942203155518075819.jpg

But I did not change my code to unlock options

Only the CPU is 10 degrees warmer

Other changes should I do to fix?

Please help ,To enable 4 cores
Thank

Not sure what other settings you will need to adjust to attempt core unlocking, other than that one you have already set to enabled in the pic. The fact that its running warmer may be some voltage adjustment that is made when you enable that setting, but that would just be a guess and nothing more. Be aware the Callisto is an early Phenom II and does run very hot. I did not have much luck overclocking mine, even with just sticking to two cores and running with a decent cooler I could only achieve 3.6 stable, and it was very very hot even at idle. My advice to you would be to upgrade the CPU to a later Phenom II quad core and possibly an ssd drive to quicken your load times, since that board has sata III, you'd get lighting fast boot times with a Sata III SSD drive in there.

CPU core control wants to be on auto.

But please start your own thread about your own hardware, thank you

Thank

CPU core control wants to be on auto.

My motherboard does not have this option!

Only 2 of the following options:
Enable & Disable

even with just sticking to two cores and running with a decent cooler I could only achieve 3.6 stable, and it was very very hot even at idle. My advice to you would be to upgrade the CPU to a later Phenom II quad core and possibly an ssd drive to quicken your load times, since that board has sata III, you'd get lighting fast boot times with a Sata III SSD drive in there.

Sorry,What exactly should I do?

Last edited:
Sorry,What exactly should I do?

Keny has the right idea. Set CPU core control to disabled, then try unlocking again.

-Research the unlocking method on your motherboard to see if there is anything else you missed
-If the other cores fails to unlock, just use your multiplier to overclock and attempt to reach your OC goal on the dual core configuration. I would recommend just bumping up the CPU multiplier in slow increments, each time you push it harder you'll want to confirm reliability buy using a torture test such as Intel Burn test or AIDIA64. Be prepared you may need to bump your core voltage as the clock speeds go up. Good luck and keep an eye on temps under 100% load.

If you fail to make decent headway with your overclock I would suggest selling your CPU and upgrading to a later revision Denab Quad core processor to uncap your gaming bottleneck.

Thank

The motherboard manual says:
Unlock option enabled and restart the system,CPU cores are activated,But if not active ,This procedure will continue:

set "Adjust Cpu-NB Ratio" and "HT Link Speed To[x8]

I did these changes,But did not change

Where can I find more information about the motherboard?

Do you have a solution?
You can clearly tell?
I am a beginner in this field

Thank

The motherboard manual says:
Unlock option enabled and restart the system,CPU cores are activated,But if not active ,This procedure will continue:

set "Adjust Cpu-NB Ratio" and "HT Link Speed To[x8]

I did these changes,But did not change

Where can I find more information about the motherboard?

Do you have a solution?
You can clearly tell?
I am a beginner in this field
That's okay, you'll learn pretty quick by going through the process a couple of times.

I don't quite understand what you mean, are you saying that after adjusting core control, it activated the locked cores, but on reboot its asking you to adjust CPU NB ratio and HT Link Speed? Your CPU NB speed should be 2000mhz and your HT link should also be set to 2000MHz.

Please get back to us with more information. You can use google to search: enter your motherboard model and type "overclocking" and/or "unlocking" the search should yield others who have gone through the process.

I don't quite understand what you mean, are you saying that after adjusting core control, it activated the locked cores, but on reboot its asking you to adjust CPU NB ratio and HT Link Speed? Your CPU NB speed should be 2000mhz and your HT link should also be set to 2000MHz.
I did search but did not find the information
The manual says:
Activate the option unlocks,It's all done! ,CPU cores are activated!
i active this option ,but,The CPU does not change

By changing these options, the CPU cores are activated?
61350066867382951495.jpg

Last edited:
Easy question. Your CPU has no un-lockable cores. Not all of them do, it's luck of the draw. You're doing the procedure correctly. ;)

Thank

The problem is CPU or motherboard?

To change the options of what number?

Thank

The problem is CPU or motherboard?

To change the options of what number?

Like I said earlier, if you cant unlock the cores, you are stuck with a dual core CPU. Its definitely the CPU, those cores are locked from the factory for a reason. The motherboard is fine. Its just luck of the silicone lottery. I was able to unlock my X4 to an X6, but the next CPU I got only unlocked to an X5.

Voltage will not un-lock cores that don't exist.
However, voltage WILL make usable cores cease to exist if not used properly.

Voltage will not un-lock cores that don't exist.
However, voltage WILL make usable cores cease to exist if not used properly.

correction, the "locked" cores do exist, they are just so far gone there's no hope to ever unlock them.

Couldn't agree more on the second half of your statement.

Back