• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning on the computer remotely

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kommanderkodiak

I want to be able to sit in my bed and press a button either on a seperate control or make the emission detector recognize the windows media player button on the wireless keyboard as the on off button.

You will want something called WOL or Wake On LAN. It uses a specially crafted packet to wake up the computer.

Never used it myself, but it should do what you want.

You will want something called WOL or Wake On LAN. It uses a specially crafted packet to wake up the computer.

Never used it myself, but it should do what you want.

ive already seen that and that doesnt do what i want it to,the computer goes into sleep mode, i want the computer to TURN ON not wake up. I remember about 7-8 years ago LEO leport jerryrigged a garage door remote to turn on the xbox, id prefer to have an officially product, but should there be none ill settle for jerryrigging as a final option

WOL should work for standby or being completely off. I use the term "wake" loosely.

I actually had a system that refused to turn completely off because of a faulty network device.

WOL should work for standby or being completely off. I use the term "wake" loosely.

I actually had a system that refused to turn completely off because of a faulty network device.

there were secuirty concerns with it already, its been completely ruled out

Back