• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7.1 Gaming sound cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeeThruHead

I've been looking for a good gaming soundcard for my new rig and I'm stumped. I've heard terrible things about Creative so I haven't really looked at them.
On the other hand I've heard good things about ASUS and Auzentech.
I had decided on the auzentech Forte but then I read a review that puts it under the asus in terms of sound quality. So can someone recommend a sound card for ~150 CAD that is better than the Auzentech Forte?

Can you maybe find the Xonar D2 PCIE version? Auzentech makes great PCIE soundcards but they're Xfi based. I don't like the Xfi DSP as much as the 8788 I find the timing a bit crappy and the sound lacks fullness. The rest of the card is very good though. And you get EAX. Which is of questionable use at this point.

If you have to I'd even go with the 8770 (I think that's on the Forte) over the Xfi before I took the Xfi. I just really dislike it. Asus AV DSPs are 8788s with a coat of black paint and a new silkscreen on them.

I appreciate the help. I think I'll just stay with the forte, which I have already bought just waiting to pick it up. Will see how good it is.

Forte_HS_2_lg.jpg

It's not a bad card. Has it's own memory. From the dark ages (looks like 90nm or worse process). But it's there. Also a headphone amp. Good audio caps. If you use digital out it should sound really good. Only major downer is the DSP. If you threw an 8788 in there it'd probably be fantastic. As is it can't possibly be bad. I've never used it but just based on what's on it, it looks really good. It's just not going to sound as full because of the Xfi.

I had originally looked at asus stuff in this pricerange. but none of it is 7.1, or rather it's 7.1 IF you add the h6 expansion card which you can't buy anywhere... Other option would be to drop down in price and go with the Asus Xonar DX, What's your opinion on that card?

It's an 8770 AFAIK. Not sure. The xonar D2 did come in a PCIE version. I have the PCI version. It's a good card. I don't know if you can get the PCIE version still it'd be about 170. AFAIK the D2X and for sure the D2 have individual front|sub/rear/side/center analog out. Not through a multitap thingy.

P_500.jpg

I think the D2X best fits what you want. 8788, 7.1 analog out without multitap. (That's D2X, not the inferior DX). These retail around 170-190CDN. Check newegg, NCIX, canadacomputers, etc.

Another thing I want to say, without sounding douchey, is that every $100ish soundcard I've ever had has been very meh. Better than onboard, but not as good as the 150-250 pricerange soundcards. There's a marked difference in sound clarity. The D2 is solid. It's really clean undistorted sound. Very good musicality. Not what Auzen does with the Meridian, which is retardledly good for the money, but close.

As an added bonus btw, the D2 lights up the inside of your case orange and the I/O on the rear has color coded LEDs inside so you can connect your mic in the dark because it's the one that's glowing bright red.

Last edited:
Forte_HS_2_lg.jpg

It's not a bad card. Has it's own memory. From the dark ages (looks like 90nm or worse process). But it's there. Also a headphone amp. Good audio caps. If you use digital out it should sound really good. Only major downer is the DSP. If you threw an 8788 in there it'd probably be fantastic. As is it can't possibly be bad. I've never used it but just based on what's on it, it looks really good. It's just not going to sound as full because of the Xfi.

You sure it is due to the X-Fi chip and not the opamps? I've heard the forte has bad stock opamps. But I notice what you are talking about. I used to have an omega card (maybe the auzen xplosion) and the "fullness" of sound was moreso on the omega then the forte.

Gaming performance on the X-Fi chips walk over anything else though. The positioning performance is litterly day and night compared to other chipsets.

You sure it is due to the X-Fi chip and not the opamps? I've heard the forte has bad stock opamps. But I notice what you are talking about. I used to have an omega card (maybe the auzen xplosion) and the "fullness" of sound was moreso on the omega then the forte.

Gaming performance on the X-Fi chips walk over anything else though. The positioning performance is litterly day and night compared to other chipsets.

If you don't like the stock OPamp get a new one. :).

I'll take fidelity over positioning.

It's an 8770 AFAIK. Not sure. The xonar D2 did come in a PCIE version. I have the PCI version. It's a good card. I don't know if you can get the PCIE version still it'd be about 170. AFAIK the D2X and for sure the D2 have individual front|sub/rear/side/center analog out. Not through a multitap thingy.

P_500.jpg

I think the D2X best fits what you want. 8788, 7.1 analog out without multitap. (That's D2X, not the inferior DX). These retail around 170-190CDN. Check newegg, NCIX, canadacomputers, etc.

Another thing I want to say, without sounding douchey, is that every $100ish soundcard I've ever had has been very meh. Better than onboard, but not as good as the 150-250 pricerange soundcards. There's a marked difference in sound clarity. The D2 is solid. It's really clean undistorted sound. Very good musicality. Not what Auzen does with the Meridian, which is retardledly good for the money, but close.

As an added bonus btw, the D2 lights up the inside of your case orange and the I/O on the rear has color coded LEDs inside so you can connect your mic in the dark because it's the one that's glowing bright red.

The forte is around 145? So I'm not sure what you mean by the price range thing.
I'm mainly looking for 7.1 gaming sound here. Not music. Positioning and surround effects are more important to me than audio quality. If need be I can run spdif out to a dedicated DAC for music, but that isn't my main concern here.

The forte is around 145? So I'm not sure what you mean by the price range thing.
I'm mainly looking for 7.1 gaming sound here. Not music. Positioning and surround effects are more important to me than audio quality. If need be I can run spdif out to a dedicated DAC for music, but that isn't my main concern here.

It's 145? That card is a bit overpriced for what it is in that case IMO. Regardless, it's clearly what you're after. Auzen uses good layouts. If you don't like the sound, change the opamp. It'll be like ten bucks. If only gaming sound is your concern and you like positional audio you want a creative chip.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm looking for good easy 7.1 for gaming. I dont have and wont be buying a 5000 dollar surround sound setup or anything so. And for music I listen via headphones, either my grado sr225 or my shure srh840. don't need 7.1 for those hah! Anyway, I appreciate all the help!

Yeah I'm looking for good easy 7.1 for gaming. I dont have and wont be buying a 5000 dollar surround sound setup or anything so. And for music I listen via headphones, either my grado sr225 or my shure srh840. don't need 7.1 for those hah! Anyway, I appreciate all the help!

I have the 225 also. They definitely sound better on the 8788 than Xfi. I've used them on both. Positionally though, even with headphones, the EAX will be better. I have no idea how that works. They somehow manage to make it sound positional just with 2 channels pretty darn well. Still the best bet for you. You're going to have to use the adapter though. Buggers didn't put the fill size jacks on that card. Definitely going to want to go to a good opamp if you have decent headphones.

I have a completely different setup to use for listening to music though. Right now I've got a misterx built alien usb dac, to a little dot headphone amplifier. (not the greatest setup i know but works for me i guess)

It's 145? That card is a bit overpriced for what it is in that case IMO. Regardless, it's clearly what you're after. Auzen uses good layouts. If you don't like the sound, change the opamp. It'll be like ten bucks. If only gaming sound is your concern and you like positional audio you want a creative chip.

It isn't 10 bucks. hehe, I wish. They range from 40-250 for an opamp change. I'm personally looking at the AD8620 when I grab some Grados 125s. The problem with the Forte is that the opamp only does front audio. I wouldn't recommended it for surround. Use a dedicated receiver for that.

Gaming must x-fi only such as x-fi music, x-fi gammer, or x-fi elite pro excellent because It have EAX

My guess would be most 'anal retentively high end' hi-fi shops would have them. Also google, ebay, etc. Let me know what you find because I want to grab some too. I'd likely just have gone to Auzen.

Don't forget, the $25 opamp isn't as good as the $200 opamp-- but limiting gains are going to set in big time. The Xfi DSP and generally money saving circuitry and components across most of that card, save for what look like (nichicon?) audio caps in one cluster on the I/O are not your friend. Even for something a bit better like the Xonar STX I have I wouldn't spend more than maybe 35 or so at the very most. I just don't think the rest of the components on any current PC sound card are going to be up to snuff with a $100 opamp or +.

Back