• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forcing browser to load new page from server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Okay guys, i've hit a wall here, and i dunno how to fix it.

I created a design for our band's website at my high school. They liked it, and so they had me upload it to the server. I backed up the old site to my laptop, and then cleared all the old files from the server, and uploaded my new design. For some reason, when some people go to the new site, their browsers are loading the old site out of the cache, and the only way to force it to load the new one is to refresh the page. Is there ANY way i can make the browser load the new page without the user having to click refresh?

The site is http://www.nwrband.org/ if you need to see it. I can also put the old site on my home server somewhere if you need to see that too.

The short answer is no. The issue is not with your coding, rather it is with the browser settings of the computers that are having the issue. There are steps you can take to try to prevent it from happening for when you do another upgrade (like using a meta no-cache tag).

However, since the issue is local to the computer (and not to your code), any machine that already has a cached version of the page and is set to load from the cache rather than the server, would not see any changes you made to the page to force the computer to refresh anyway.

It seems to happen most in Google Chrome. I'm thinking that maybe Chrome checks Google's cache, and if it hasn't changed, it doesn't bother with reloading the page. That would seem stupid though.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass this on to the people that are having issues.

Rename the picture and edit the link in your code to reflect the new name.

It's not a picture. It's the entire web site. The browser is seeing that it's named index.html, and loading it out of the cache for some reason.

EDIT: I just gave myself an idea. I renamed the file to index.htm, and everything still works perfectly. I think that if i leave it like this, this will force the browser to load the new page since it's a different file. I'll see how it works.

Last edited:
Back