• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Custom Phase Change (Buy?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiccman1965

Wondering if anyone has bought one of these units and if they are worth the money to invest in.

Monster Single Stage Cooler $950.00

http://under-the-ice.com/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=159
Compressors are direct from Danfoss USA brand new in the box

All parts are new
USA only
unit contains
Danfoss SC18CLX.2 compressor
Hugh Stepper evaporator
four foot six inch suction line
r507 refrigerant - unit is charged for 300 watt load at -35C evaporator temperature
universal mounting for Intel 1366 - 1156 and earlier and current AMD and earlier
units are 15" tall X 15" wide X 20" long

That is an average SS IMO, not the strongest but will do the job on SB chips, too week for Bloomfield and certainly Gulftown chips, agree with Matt, shipping will be very challenging. The price is a bit high for a single stager, rather get a pot for dice or LN2 depending on what chips you want to bench, dice is so cheap and readily available.

Dice is about $60 for 10 kilos not so cheap but thank you for the inputs. IM was hoping it would work on 1366 and any future chips.
That is an average SS IMO, not the strongest but will do the job on SB chips, too week for Bloomfield and certainly Gulftown chips, agree with Matt, shipping will be very challenging. The price is a bit high for a single stager, rather get a pot for dice or LN2 depending on what chips you want to bench, dice is so cheap and readily available.

An average unit?
This is just as powerful as anything Scott produces, except at a higher worksmanship. The producer is Runmc and is only comparable to LittleDevil actually.

-35c seems a little warm for a single stage, but i live in an area with an extremely low ambient air temp which affects its.

If your pushing high wattage chips 300watts is kinda slim for meeting that demmand (i know on 145 and 125 watt chips its quite easy to push into the 350+ wattage range at around 1.6v vcore.

Personally if your spending 1k on a singlestage setup, after my experinces recently with SB and 145watt Denebs, I would look at a cascade, i think they cost around 1600-1800$ but not exactly sure. Better temps with the convience of a phase change setup. But thats just my two cents.

That is a gross misconception.
What Scott has built, and has always built, was benching units. Rotary or not, 3/4hp compressors are for benching. The power draw is just too much for most people to want that on a daily unit. It is therefore unsurprising that two benching units, with the same hardware, have the same characteristics.

A "normal" "average" unit will most likely not do 300W. But will be -20C @ 250W.

Pretty sure Intel; I don't think Brolloks has even benched a Thuban.Could be wrong on that last part though.

NoL - I think jiccman is looking into the unit for benching, not 24/7 use. You're saying an average unit should be for 24/7 use and not hold as much of a load as this unit and Brolloks' sdumper-built unit? Or that these cannot be compared to average units?

That these are above average units, and thus the prices that are charged.
Lately we have a push of people asking us, the phase builders, for units are cheaper and cheaper prices because they expect what isn't average, to be average. Cascades will never be $800, yet I've had people complain to me at least four times a week lately that I am simply trying to stiff them.

Part of it comes from the misconception that these huge units are the new "requirement" to deal with a heavy load. You can even get an average unit that will do 300W, and in a much smaller package, but you'll have to ask for it. The builders have also gotten a bit lazy by not pushing for normal units, since we can put together these huge suckers in a single night vs a week of testing and tuning.

I have emailed sdumper he said he could build me on to handle a 980X at load with a -35 temp that should work. Also my power requirements of 100v 50hz.

Are you sure about that? I know Scotts US like me and I had to use my VFD in the shop to power up the last few Japan units I built. Last time I checked he only had a 220V setup.

Back