• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why reinstall drivers after switching between compatible gpus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

can anyone explain to me why I need to reinstall the newest nvidia drivers whenever I switch my 580 for my 9800? According to the nvidia site both cards use the same Forceware drivers so technically I should not need to reinstall drivers.

Cheers.

You shouldnt really have to for that switch. The only things that may get wonky are your overclocking programs, but even Afterburner picked up on the switch for me.

If you have issues, THEN reinstall, but that jump, I wouldnt bother either. ;)

Hmm nvidia control panel completely disappears whenever I switch cards - that is what I don't understand. Device manager shows my 9800 gtx with a yellow exclamation mark and all I can do to restore drivers is reinstalling, seemingly.

Right click on the device and reinstall the drivers through there. Sounds like it didn't find them for you.

Make sure to point it to the extract point of the drivers (usually c:\nvidia\...)

Windows sucks that's why. It seems like it associates that product with a specific driver and freaks out when it changes. I never have this problem in Linux as long as the current driver installed supports the GPU's I've swapped and keeps my display settings.

I know I know, can't game in Linux but just saying.

and sadly even if you manage to game on linux the performance loss is great.

Last time i tried all benchmarks scored low. and i couldn't enable sli.

I would use Driver Cleaner when moving from ATI to Nvidia just to be sure, but do not use that practice with the same Brand card. If you have installed a couple drivers before, you will see a folder there from each version. The last few Nvidia drivers have an option for a 'clean' install (takes out all settings and such, not sure about prior driver folders) and I use that method.

Windows sucks that's why. It seems like it associates that product with a specific driver and freaks out when it changes. I never have this problem in Linux as long as the current driver installed supports the GPU's I've swapped and keeps my display settings.

I know I know, can't game in Linux but just saying.
thats not very helpful to the person that started this thread is it? He has windows, so what was the point of this post except to incite a forum 'riot' (trolling)? (Rhetorical question, please dont answer)

The last few Nvidia drivers have an option for a 'clean' install (takes out all settings and such, not sure about prior driver folders) and I use that method.
Last time i checked it doesn't remove the folders.

Doesn't that leave driver residue? Or is drivercleaner just a hype?

You're talking about installing the same driver over the same already existing driver. There's nothing "extra" to remove unless you're changing driver versions (particularly if you're backdating the driver) or changing to a different driver vendor (Intel, AMD, nVidia).

Clean installs for graphics drivers are "best practice", but they're not always necessary.

Did you by any chance disable the feature in Windows that allows it to search for a compatible driver when you install new hardware? That comes to mind as a reason that it isn't installing your 9800 correctly on first boot. Re-installing the driver is a simple and quick remedy though.

Back