• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a baseline to start for 5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

looking for baseline voltages to get a core i7 2600k up to 5ghz. went ahead and got an asus maximus Iv board. i have 4gigs of supertalent ddr3 2000 memory. the cpu is watercooled with a apogee xt waterblock and an ax 1200 psu. hd 6990 gpu

The problem with trying to find a baseline for such a heavy overclock is that chips vary WILDLY at this clock.

I binned 3 2600ks for example. The one I am using now requires about 1.56V to be fully stable at 5GHz, which is just terrible. The other two were pretty stable at 1.52V. I've heard of people who couldn't even POST at 5GHz regardless of voltage, and I know of other people who have hit 5GHz on 1.385V stable. You'll find on these chips that there will be a slight curve for voltage/frequency as you go up and up until you hit a "wall" which will vary by chip, and at this wall suddenly the amount of volts you need to increase to gain 100Mhz more frequency will begin to go up drastically. You'll have to find that wall yourself though.

It is very very dependent on the chip and how well it overclocks, so you will need to tinker. There is no real good consensus on safe voltage, but you can try starting off by letting it autovolt, see what it gives you and work up or down depending on what # and stability you get.

+1. ^^

5Ghz really isnt a 24/7 stable clock for most of these CPU's. 4.5-4.8Ghz, sure. But at 5Ghz 24/7 oyu are likely going to be dropping too much voltage to keep it stable there.

yah 1.5 volts sounds way too high for a 24/7 o/c. What about say 4.8hz?

Last edited:
Voltage will still vary from chip to chip. Anywhere from 1.3-1.45 maybe for that voltage. The bottom line is to see for yourself. ;)

can you recomend any o/c guides to read for the i7 2600ks or is it basically the same as ocing with an i7 920.

Its really different. No bclk overclocking its all multi. Once you hit a wall, enable PLL overvolt. But its basically jack voltage up to 1.35 and see how far it takes you.

pretty much.. YOU need to find your wall. but most things auto/default and locking volts to 1.35 and start clocking from there.. if you clock cpu only first then all you should have to play with is the cpu volts and enable/disable internal cpu PLL overvoltage. once you have your cpu where you want/feel comfortable then start working on your ram.

It's been found slightly increasing vccio aka "qpi/vtt" from 1.05 - 1.2v(in .0025 increments) can help stability with high speed ram.

Back