• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenF

Well, I'm looking to buy a cable modem so I no longer need to pay the $5 a month rental fee from charter. I'm currently using a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 and it seems to work well for the most part. Occasionally it needs to be restarted and my internet connection sometimes drops with a large number of connection at my maximum internet bandwidth (torrents). I don't know if that is from my modem or my router but I figured I'd list it anyway. Now I know pretty much nothing about modems and I'm looking for advice on what to buy and where to look to learn more about modems.

The Motorola surfboards are fantastic. I used to work at Comcast and the Moto's were pretty solid compared to the other offerings. I'd stay away from the Ambit or Dlink modems if you have the choice.

I'd recommend the SB6120 which supports DOCSIS 3, so if you upgrade speeds in the future you'll already have a modem capable of handling them. If the SB6120 is too much I'd honestly stick with another SB5101 or an SB5120.

In regards to the internet connection issues, what router do you currently use?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm probably either gonna get the SB6120 or the SB5101. I'm currently using a linksys wrt54g. I'm experience the connectivity issues when using a wired connection (I haven't tested out the issue with wireless). Basically what happens is when I have a significant number of connections while maxing out my internet connection (torrents), my internet just cuts out for several seconds then it reconnects. I've only experienced this with torrents. Direct downloads do not cause any issues. I'm not sure if it is my router bugging out, or if its my isp, or if its my modem. If you need any more information please let me know and I'll be sure to post it.

Ahhh an inside man! It's always good to have the opinion of a guy who has the skinny on which modems consistently fail for an ISP's customer base. Thanks for posting, Mooyo! I also have to agree with Mooyo as a modem just needs to be able to support future connection technologies. I would consider DOCSIS 3.0 a must for anyone shopping for a new modem.

Brian

A company out there still charges for that? The big names caught on and got rid of that discount years ago, making it far less worth buying one. :(

The Motorola surfboards are fantastic. I used to work at Comcast and the Moto's were pretty solid compared to the other offerings. I'd stay away from the Ambit or Dlink modems if you have the choice.

I'd recommend the SB6120 which supports DOCSIS 3, so if you upgrade speeds in the future you'll already have a modem capable of handling them. If the SB6120 is too much I'd honestly stick with another SB5101 or an SB5120.

I am honestly starting to wonder if Dlink puts out anything good. Yes, they are cheaper almost always, but I am constantly hearing about people having to replace their Dlink stuff more often.

i'd have to go with the above recommendations of either the motorola surfboard 51xx or the 6120.

i had a 5100 and i'm currently using a 6120. both have had no problems as far as reliability.

I have some really sketchy internet problems(my internet just dies every 45 minutes for a few seconds)

I upgraded my 5101N to a 5101U and it didn't help. Do you guys think going to the Docsis 3 modem would actually fix my issues?

I've already had Cox out here twice and they kinda just said "it's probably the modem at this point."

=\

I made a mistake in my post - the Ambit (or technically Ubee now?) DOCSIS 2.0 modems have generally been crap. There is a DOCSIS 3 Ambit modem the U10C035 that I tested out 100mbps down by 20mbps up for a few months that was *FANTASTIC* and never had any problems.

I completely forgot about that modem. If you have the option, get the Ambit/Ubee U10C035 or the Motorola SB6120.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm probably either gonna get the SB6120 or the SB5101. I'm currently using a linksys wrt54g. I'm experience the connectivity issues when using a wired connection (I haven't tested out the issue with wireless). Basically what happens is when I have a significant number of connections while maxing out my internet connection (torrents), my internet just cuts out for several seconds then it reconnects. I've only experienced this with torrents. Direct downloads do not cause any issues. I'm not sure if it is my router bugging out, or if its my isp, or if its my modem. If you need any more information please let me know and I'll be sure to post it.

Ben, are you running the stock Linksys firmware on that WRT54G? If you are I would look into another firmware option, I personally favor DDWRT which is what I ran on my old WRT54GL for years ...which now serves as an access point.

Sorry for the delay in response by the way. I kind of lurk these forums and forget when I make a post sometimes >.<.

Ahhh an inside man! It's always good to have the opinion of a guy who has the skinny on which modems consistently fail for an ISP's customer base. Thanks for posting, Mooyo! I also have to agree with Mooyo as a modem just needs to be able to support future connection technologies. I would consider DOCSIS 3.0 a must for anyone shopping for a new modem.

Brian

Not a problem at all, any help I can provide I'm more than happy to offer.

In regards to the D3 devices - at this point more time and effort are put into these models. It's kind of hard to mess up a D2.0 device at this point (Toshiba, Motorola, Cisco, etc all have/had great offerings) and there's no "new territory" so to speak with D2.0.

I am honestly starting to wonder if Dlink puts out anything good. Yes, they are cheaper almost always, but I am constantly hearing about people having to replace their Dlink stuff more often.

Most lower end Dlink models (modems and routers specifically) have been terrible in my experience. Some of the higher end Dlink stuff isn't bad but I'll pick Linksys/Netgear for anything low-end any day of the week.

I have some really sketchy internet problems(my internet just dies every 45 minutes for a few seconds)

I upgraded my 5101N to a 5101U and it didn't help. Do you guys think going to the Docsis 3 modem would actually fix my issues?

I've already had Cox out here twice and they kinda just said "it's probably the modem at this point."

=\

I don't think a DOCSIS 3 modem, for the fact of just being a DOCSIS 3 modem, will necessarily help your case.

When your internet drops out are you able to grab any light status' from the front of the device? Typically you'll see the send, receive, or ready light freak out on Motorola modems if they're dropping.

Alternatively, see if you can load http://192.168.100.1 in your browser and reach the modem's web interface or not.

Also, what kind of router do you have?

I'll try and keep an eye on this thread. If anyone has side questions or is getting antsy I do respond to PMs pretty normally.

EDIT - added a few links

Another +1 for the SB6120. I wouldn't even consider purchasing a non-DOCSIS 3.0 modem at this point simply to be ready for future speeds.

I've had the 6120 now on Cox for about 6 months and it's been rock steady.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I haven't tried putting DDWRT on my router yet. That something I've been meaning to do but just haven't gotten around to. I did end up buying the Motorola SB6120. I'm already hitting the speed caps of my current modem and I'm pretty sure DOCSIS 3 has been implemented in my area (I can get 100mbps from my ISP if I want). Additionally, because this purchase will take about a year to pay for itself, I figured I might as well getting something with a little more future-proofing.

It should arrive tomorrow, but unfortunately I'll be busy all day long so I don't think I'll be able to set it up until Wednesday. I'll have to let you guys know my first impressions. Are there any benchmarks I can do to compare it to my old modem? I'm gonna run a few speedtest.net tests to see if my peak speeds improve. My downloads currently max out at ~30mbps which is pretty much the bandwidth cap of my current modem. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a little bit above that. What else out there is there besides uptime without resets or having to call my ISP to have them resync my modem?

-edit-

My ISP just bumped their modem rental fee up to $7 a month. Great time to buy my own modem :D

Speedtests may not be accurate depending on your provider. As an example Comcast's Powerboost/speedboost/whatever-it's-called-now will ramp up your download and upload speeds temporarily. Usually makes you're speeds look over inflated.

As an example here's a speedtest I just did.

speedtest.png

My speed is actually 22mbps down by 5mbps up, not 62x8 as it was shown.

The best way I've found to speedtest anything is to fire up a bunch of linux or freebsd torrents and try to keep you download/upload capped for 5+ minutes. Usually a better test that the quick speedtests available online.

Well the modem seems to be working well. My powerboost is much better now too. I used to be rock-steady at ~30mbps during regular usage and powerboost would bump it up to ~32. Now my powerboost bumps it up to ~50mbps. I'm just hoping I won't have to reset to modem as often as before and that I won't have to call my ISP to have them resend the signal. Either way though, I'll be saving money.

Back