• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED firewall problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

hello :)
so i got infected a few days ago, task manager,windows security center service and firewall got disabled, i got the latest update from kaspersky, scanned whole pc several times, in safe mode too, i also used malware bytes with latest updates and also scanned several times including safe mode, whole pc is clean now (i think) as they don't detect anything anymore(deleted lots before), but the changed settings are still on my pc and i don't know how to enable firewall again, it wont enable in control panel :\

im sure there is a way to re enable it via register or something because thats how i re enabled task manager when it was blocked, anyone know how to re enable the firewall?
also how can i be absolute sure that virus/malware or whatever it is, is gone? antiviruses can't detect anything anything but i wanna be 100% sure its gone :\

edit: btw i think my network is blocked too, internet works fine but games using LAN won't work anymore, i create games but the other pc won't detect, tried several games, all the same

I think it would help if you told us what you were infected with, there's a chance there's a regfix that can be run to restore your settings.

i have no idea, how can i tell?
i think whatever it was its removed now (not 100% sure)
i just need a way to turn on firewall :\

I use private firewall by privacyware. To turn it on you download and install it. I wouldn't bother with the windows one. It should be disabled in services.

I wouldn't bother with the windows one. It should be disabled in services.
I concur that you should not use the Windows one, but I would suggest an actual hardware firewall to a software one. Better control and avoiding situations like this are fairly good reasons. There are many out there; Smoothwall, Astaro, etc. It would also allow you to do a lot more with your internet connection.

i like the windows firewall, i have one in kaspersky pure anyway, but i just wanna restore everything back to normal, if anyone knows any registry file please tell me :\

as i said i dont know, whatever it was its removed now, computer acting normal again, i just need to re enable firewall again, if anyone knows a way

well guys, i still can't find a way to enable my firewall, nor make lan games work (internet works fine though,connected with ethernet cable)
i used ccleaner (registry cleaner) didn't help at all,the malware or whatever it was is gone but the settings remained...
will system repair fix it? i don't want to use system restore...

Honestly, in the time that you've tried to figure this out, you could have started from scratch.

Reinstall Windows.

HELL NO :rofl: dying seems less sad than that! :p

that will ruin my whole week, i have like a million things to reinstall if i do that,not to mention the files to save,the updates to do...too much trouble!

now please if anyone knows a way...help! :cry:

no the startup type is set to automatic but it is disabled, when i try to enable i get this error..

Capture.JPG

no the startup type is set to automatic but it is disabled, when i try to enable i get this error.

At this point I'd agree with the suggestion above to reinstall. I'm not sure how you would actually restore the firewall if it was that critically broken (not to mention anything else that's missing or toasted).

The only thing I can think of doing, short of reloading the OS, would be to do a system repair:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

(The tutorial linked is for Vista but the options are basically the same in Windows 7).

darn, first im going to try replacing my firewall files on my pc with clean ones from another pc, anyone know where the firewall folder/files are located?
if that doesn't work then ill try system repair, if that doesn't work either guess i have to reinstall

well, i was able to fix the LAN games problem by disabling the firewall service completely, should have thought of that before i guess, i think im gonna replace the windows firewall with the one in kaspersky pure, thanks everyone :)

Back