• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LA NOIRE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Do you have it? Is it good? I was going to get it launch day but I'm currently angry at Rockstar so I figured I'd wait and hear from others first. Just came out today.

:thup:I got it and spent about 6 hours with it last night, off and on. The game mechanics are pretty repetitive, but the main focus of the game is the cinematics which I love. If you can see past the repetitive nature of much of the chase scenes and remember that this is a cinematic-based game, I think you'll love it. Graphically, the wide cinematic shots leave a little to be desired as I noticed some tearing in certain instances but that could be the tv/xbox and it doesn't detract from the game imo.

The facial expressions of the characters are what stand out most for me. They obviously went to a great deal of effort to convey facial expressions of emotions correctly and the faces of characters tend to be similar to the individuals who voiced them. I won't spoil by droping any names but I saw/heard quite a few I recognize.

One thing I will mention as a pro and con is that causing chaos and damaging property like in GTA is frowned upon in this game. I was not very surprised by this but it doesn't seem to impact gameplay too negatively. Though I'm curious to see if that has an impact later in the game. One cool feature is that while you're working on the case, perhaps traveling to question someone or investigate a scene, crimes will go down and may happen right in front of you. I wonder sometimes how often that happens to police irl.

You begin the game with no real idea who your character is, and I found it hard to identify with him at first, but they reveal more through flashback cutscenes as the main story progresses and that's the part I like best.

All said, it's kind of refreshing to be on the other side of the law in a Rockstar game. Now I need to find a way to get out of work early and get back to it...

After watching a few reviews I am going to pass on this game. It looks (graphically) really nice, but the gameplay looks (as the previous poster stated) really repetitive and boring to me.

My brother-in-law got it for my wife and she likes it so far. It does seem repetitive (what rockstar game isn't) but I also enjoyed the visuals. It seems like GTA mixed with Heavy Rain set in the 1940's. You'll soend a lot of time looking for clues at crime scenes and interrogating people. If you're into the story more than exciting gameplay (exactly how my wife is) then you'd enjoy it.

So far the story is intriguing and the gameplay (while repetitive, as mentioned above), is very fun.
I will almost definitely play this to the end.

There are a lot of little things that make it stand out--verisimilitude. Tiny bits of 1940s culture that help set the mood. I was very impressed by the fact that the radio plays replica 1940s radio dramas.

I definitely recommend buying.

Back