• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmarking for the first time :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sabi

Registered
Hi there,

So i've just built my first 'gaming' rig, i've been building systems from spare, free parts for about 4 years now and thought it might be time to acctually BUY some parts and see what i can do.

So my new rig is:
AMD Sempron 145 2.8ghz processor,
Socket AM3 mobo (can't remember make and model)
1gb DDR3 1066mhz Ram,
ATI Radeon 4850 HD 1gb GDDR3 graphics card,
2TB WD 3.5 inch HDD (sata 3gb/s),
500gb WD 2.5 inch HDD (sata 3gb/s),
32gb OCZ Vertex2 2.5 inch HHD (sata 3gb/s),
600w iCute modular PSU,
120mm fan in the front blowing over HDDs.
Windows 7 Enterprise x64

This has cost me a total of about £250 so i think i have done reasonably well.

I've been looking at overclocking it but wanted to set down some benchmarks before i start messing arround. i've downloaded Prime and CPU-z for monitoring all the figures and i used Aquamark 3 (it's what i had available) to run a benchmark.
i scored 87,700 (ish) with it all running stock. does this mean anything to anyone?

I note there is an old thread with aquamark scores on it but it seems to have been left a long time ago.

My plans for the future are to up the Ram to 4gb, Unlock the processor and overclock to about 3.5ghz. might look at clocking the ram and Graphics card but i'm new to overclocking so not too sure how i'll do.

Any advice?
Thanks.

Well, I'm not sure how 87k is, but if you sign up at www.hwbot.org, you can check how you compare globally, and to others with a 4850. :thup: If you need help with benchmarks and tweaks, we've got plenty, but we don't give them out to everyone. ;)

Thanks for the reply.
i'm going to have a look at that site thanks :) Hopefully i'll be able to unlock and clock it to see how it goes and maybe a hunt arround for the benchmark tools too :) fingers crossed adding more ram etc will improve it nicely.

A sempron's real value on HWbot is single core wprime globals. As its one of the most powerful single core cpus. Unfortunately it will bottle-neck just about everything else. Including your gpu.

Single core PCMark05, too.
Of course, hitting the top of that demands SSDs and a beefy GPU.

Back