• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup power supply and power monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TylerRadford

I'm looking for a good power monitor, and a good backup energy supply.

You know, just in case this rapture comes late. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I do want one just in case there is a power failure.

For protection a ten dollar surge protector will do the trick.

A ups is useful only if you are worried about losing progress in a document or something else you are working on if the power goes out and you haven't saved it.

For protection a ten dollar surge protector will do the trick.

A ups is useful only if you are worried about losing progress in a document or something else you are working on if the power goes out and you haven't saved it.

I don't really write documents, and all the games I play, such as WoW, auto save. So what would you recommend to protect my system?

I think the best bet would be a surge protector/power strip. You can get good ones under 20 dollars. I am not familiar with specific makes, but I buy the cheap ones - as long as they have a breaker that resets if there is a surge, that is supposed to protect your system.

It isn't any different than surge protectors on any home electronics, like your TV or stereo. A ups is used when people don't want to have a few minutes to save whatever they are working on when they have a power outage.

A good quality UPS would also include a line conditioner, which would offer better protection against surges than a cheap surge protector (a 2 second surge will be suppressed without cutting power like a breaker would), and protection against brownout ("anti-surge"). The UPS linked in post 3 seems to have this, from the description.

Last edited:
A good UPS does the conditioning in normal human usage. You have brownouts, spikes etc, it protects the components. You need the batteries in a UPS to raise the voltage during a brownout. One thing bad about a UPS, it has a power loss due to the electronics. We have a few $105k UPS for the controls on our printing presses to protect the controls and keep it on for 45 min in case of a power outage. Better than over an hour of down time and more than a few PSU's and AC stepper drives crapping out on us.

A good UPS takes the wall AC, turns it to DC, and cleans up the signal. Then turn it back to a ohh so pretty stable sine wave in almost any conditions.

Back