• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 2 X4 unable to turn of 3 cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

How many cores can i disable in my processor? I entered bios, and it gave me an option to turn off 2 cores. Why not 3? Not supported?

Perhaps there is a software that can turn off all 3 cores?

It would be a BIOS setting along with a chipset that can handle it.

I can't think of a single reason why you'd want to disable 3 cores on a quad, though. In Windows, you can set the number of processors with "msconfig" (Boot tab, Advanced options, number of processors). This doesn't give the power savings of the core actually being disabled, but the OS will only see/use one processor.

I want to disable 3 cores, because there are games in this world, those hyperspeed with more than 1 core.

Yes, in the msconfig there are BOOT advanced options, and i see the option to set the number or processors, meaning "cores".

I will see how it works and will report back.

I want to disable 3 cores, because there are games in this world, those hyperspeed with more than 1 core.
I have absolutely no idea what this means, so I'll guess. Games that use only one core will still benefit from having more than one core. Obviously, the game can't use the extra cores, but Windows will offload other programs and operating system duties to the other cores. This means your game won't slow down with background tasks when playing a game.

Please proofread your posts.

I will see how it works and will report back.

It works.

I have absolutely no idea what this means, so I'll guess. Games that use only one core will still benefit from having more than one core. Obviously, the game can't use the extra cores, but Windows will offload other programs and operating system duties to the other cores. This means your game won't slow down with background tasks when playing a game.

Please proofread your posts.

Games made before the era of dual core processors not only do not benefit from dual core - some of them hyperspeed on mutli core processors. Hyperspeeding means that the moving objects of the game move at super fast speeds or do super fast physics. Interaction is much faster than it supoosed to be.

An example in my case is Resident Evil.

Is this some sort of joke? You actually want to disable a quad because you think it will help you play a game at a normal speed? Has this actually happened to you? Sorry if I'm sounding offensive, but almost everyone else here is trying to get more from their rig, not cripple it.

Is this some sort of joke? You actually want to disable a quad because you think it will help you play a game at a normal speed? Has this actually happened to you? Sorry if I'm sounding offensive, but almost everyone else here is trying to get more from their rig, not cripple it.

No, he is correct. Some games, especially old games, like dos games, or really old ones like that simply can't run on modern hardware. They do exactly as described. This happened to me a couple times on my dual core while running some fun dos games.

I believe there is some software that will do what you are seeking. Not sure what it is called, but Google fixes everything.

This "Hyperspeed" you are referring to won't resolve itself by disabling cores. Whether you have 14 cores or one, if it's running at 3GHz it will run the application at that speed. What you need is a "rev limiter" of sorts. DOSBOX is great for this when dealing with older DOS applications. It will essentially set the application's clock to normalize in coordination to the CPU; aka -- use as much CPU as is needed to run the app at "normal speed".

Resident Evil? Are you running it in Windows XP/7? I'm not familiar with the PC version -- is this a DOS or Win 95 application? You may be able to setup Compatibility mode in Windows for normalized performance. If it's 3D accelerated that could make things more complicated.

This "Hyperspeed" you are referring to won't resolve itself by disabling cores. Whether you have 14 cores or one, if it's running at 3GHz it will run the application at that speed. What you need is a "rev limiter" of sorts. DOSBOX is great for this when dealing with older DOS applications. It will essentially set the application's clock to normalize in coordination to the CPU; aka -- use as much CPU as is needed to run the app at "normal speed".

Resident Evil? Are you running it in Windows XP/7? I'm not familiar with the PC version -- is this a DOS or Win 95 application? You may be able to setup Compatibility mode in Windows for normalized performance. If it's 3D accelerated that could make things more complicated.

Listen to what i say! I say 100 % true words that the hyperspeed happened due to the additional core. I disabled 3 cores and now Resident Evil runs just fine! It is a Windows 95 application. I already have set compatibility to Windows 95 even before installing the game, or it would not even install...

If nothing else it seems like you could go into Task Manager and just set the Affinity to only one core. I can't see how dropping cores in BIOS would be much different than that ... :shrug:

I already disabled the 3 cors in msconfig (bios allows to disable only 2 cores), but anyway - i'd like to know how to do it in task manager too!

http://www.cpukiller.com/

This is the "rev limiter" I was referring to and it doesn't require special tweaks or adjustments to your BIOS or OS. Just turn it on when you feel like running the game. This will allow you to run all four cores. But, if you like doing it your way, by all means.

I'm also surprised you're not having issues with the 4870X2 and Crossfire. But I won't get into that.

I already disabled the 3 cors in msconfig (bios allows to disable only 2 cores), but anyway - i'd like to know how to do it in task manager too!
I'm not sure I understand completely why the older games will slow down with only one core - but you can force any program to only use a given core or cores in Task Manager.

Open Task Manager,
go to the Processes tab,
find the program file (*.exe or whatever),
right-click the program file name,
choose "Set Affinity", then
select (check box) the core or cores you want the program to use.

Once you've done that Windows will not allow the program to use any other cores than the one(s) you selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I've never used it, isn't there an "emulation mode" available in Vista and XP?

Not to sound like a douche, but only once in my life have I ran into a problem like this, and that was going from DOS to Win 3.1. Sometimes you just have to either upgrade or give up the ghost. I can't play Duke Nukem or Quake 1 or 2 anymore, and I've actually survived.

AMD has a tool on their site that fixes that issue of when certain games that use only 1 core cause massive FPS drop when running with a mutlicore setup. I forget what it is called, but when I downloaded it on my old gaming rig, it fixed the issue.

Also, what core #s does hyperthreading use? I would like to disable the hyperthreading cores as my intel proc is slow as it.

they dont clock any higher with less cores, my 965 will actually clock further with all 4 cores than it does in tri mode so it that scale is linear the single core mode would be terrible, also, its impossible to have just 1 core running without disabling cache, which most motherboards cannot do.

Back