• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom II x6 1100t stock fan overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bradleyg

Registered
Hello this is my first post here and I have just recently built my first build. My setup is:
Asus crosshair iv formula
amd phenom ii x6 1100t
diamond radeon hd6950 2gb
4gb microcenter ddr3 ram 1333mhz (for now)
Corsair gs600 psu
Nzxt phantom case

I was wondering what the highest clock speeds you guys have managed with the stock fan. and if its safe to even oc it with the stock fan.

please ignore spelling mistakes/typos I'm posting this from mobile.

I can't directly answer your question but in general, the amount of overclock you can get with the stock HSF is "not much". If I were you I'd disable turbo boost and then start increasing the CPU multiplier in .5x increments. But first, run Prime95 for 15 minutest with HWMonitor open to see what your max core temps are at stock settings. That will tell you if there is any overclock headroom available. If max core temps are already in the mid 50s C., forget about it.

I'd venture to guess that it would be very hard for people to give you an exact number on how much you could overclock your processor. With the stock HSF, you probably won't get too far as say a nice, solid, aftermarket cooler.

The only way to be sure is do your overclocking in steps, and make sure to watch the temps VERY closely after each bump up in clock speed.

Thanks for the heads up guys, and thanks for such quick replies. I didn't expect to see anything until tomorrow.

Bringing back this thread instead of starting a new one,
today I managed to get 3.9ghz on the stock fan, hopefully I will see much better clock speed when I switch to liquid.

Actually I used the asus program I forget what it was called, I'm at work right now, but I think it was like core z or turbo z something like that and just put it on auto mode to overclock it, the program said that it would push it to max stable speed and I guess that was 3.9. I didn't monitor temps or anything, just thought I would try the program and see how it worked.

When you get home, download and install "HWMonitor" and "Prime95". Open HWMonitor and leave it open as you run Prime95 (which stresses the CPU cores at virutal 100% load). Let us know what HWMonitor says your core temps are after 15 minutes of Prime, if the system will run that long without BSOD.

When you get home, download and install Coretemp and "Prime95". Open Coretemp and leave it open as you run Prime95 (which stresses the CPU cores at virutal 100% load). Let us know what Coretemp says your core temps are after 15 minutes of Prime, if the system will run that long without BSOD.

just my suggestion :thup:

HWmontior is fine , when it works right, but i've had a LOT of boards it dont do worth a squat on..(unreliable readings)

Or use CoreTemp instead or along with HWMonitor. I like HWMonitor because it gives much moere info than CoreTemp. Personally, I've not had HWMonitor show different temp or voltage readings than other monitoring software. The only problem I've had with it is with regard to reporting incorrect fan speeds.

Biggest problem I've had with it is actually on the voltage rails.. I've gotten some REALLY funky readings with it before, as far as temps goes it's usually spot on for the most part, I'll give ya that. But it is handy to have that other info if it does read correctly, all in one program.

Do note that if the CPU reading is below ambient at idle then you got "lucky" with a CPU that's diode is not calibrated (like mine). From most of the CPU's I've seen like this it is usually reads 10-15C too low. Keep the CPU load temps (ie.Prime 95) under ~55C, a miscalibrated CPU like mine hit the wall between 40C->45C as read by core temp.

Back