• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H overclocking limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exempt

Hey guys, I'm completely stumped on this one, I've google a bunch of different terms and combinations but basically I have a i5 750, I am using the most current/updated BIOS for the mobo, I have the overclock right now at 3.5ghz with a 20x multiplier, and memory is at 1333mhz (which is it's rated speed). However when I try to go any higher, it defaults/resorts back to 3.5ghz with the memory at 1333mhz, i can change and go lower and it sticks, but any higher and it doesn't stick, however it's not a dual boot BIOS, and its booting just fine with the applied overclock, I add extra voltage to mem and CPU for good measure and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Changing the multiplier doesn't even get recognized at this point what so ever, just permanently stuck at 3.5ghz lol

I dont recall the max multiplier on that CPU, should try using it though.

With that said, when you overclock using the bclk you are overclocking the memory as well, unles you lowered the memory multplier.

If you check out the guide in my signature, it shows you EXACTLY how to find out your max bclk, memory, and clockspeed. I would check there as you already have half the battle won. :)

I dont recall the max multiplier on that CPU, should try using it though.

With that said, when you overclock using the bclk you are overclocking the memory as well, unles you lowered the memory multplier.

If you check out the guide in my signature, it shows you EXACTLY how to find out your max bclk, memory, and clockspeed. I would check there as you already have half the battle won. :)

aaahhh I figured it out right as you posted this.

So check this out...

Intel TurboBoost: Intel's auto-overclocking feature that increases the CPU multiplier beyond its stock value when fewer than all four cores are being used. TurboBoost has two levels of multiplier increment, which for the i5-750 are 21x and 22x. On some boards the 21x multiplier can be forced on permanently, however whether this actually "holds" is dependent on the BIOS and board, not all boards will hold the 21x multiplier and will default to the last stable overclock.

So while my BIOS reports the highest multiplier at 21x it's only when Turboboost is enabled, which I always disable when overclocking.

Regardless it's a seriously great CPU for the price and overclocking ability, at 3.5ghz-3.8ghz it's performance is on par with i7 cpus up to the stock 980x

guess I'll have to stick with 19x or 20x and just up the bclk, and lower the memory multiplier.

Thanks for the quick response Earthdog :)

Back