• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google's creating a water (seawater, actually) cooled datacenter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

http://gigaom.com/cleantech/google-to-switch-on-worlds-first-seawater-cooled-data-center-this-fall/

Tremendously cool. Sounds as though they're filtering the water into a heat exchanger that (likely?) pumps some other fluid to the servers to keep them cool. I can only guess at the details of course.

How'd you like to leak test that mess? I would love to know some details like what they're using for the coolant itself and what sort of setup it is. I rather doubt that they're watercooling the chips directly, more likely that they're pumping server room air through radiators to keep ambient temperatures down.

Still very interesting though.

Pump dirt water to make it pass through radiator to cool a closed water circuit and there you got your heat transfer.

Let's just hope that nothing happens here like what happened with an ENIAC way back in the day --

(Now I remember this story from when I was in highschool about 10 years ago, so the facts are generalized :))
they watercooled that huge PC from a lake and a fish got caught in the in-take, died, and clogged the tubes causing the machine to burn up.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like they're using seawater to exchange heat in another closed system.

That's how they cool nuclear power plants, so why not a datacenter? Seems nifty.

Yeah, sounds like they're using seawater to exchange heat in another closed system.

That's how they cool nuclear power plants, so why not a datacenter? Seems nifty.

I thought 1st time they used salt water was to cooldown reactor to prevent meltdown at this year Japan disaster.

Generally its bad idea as salt can stick at parts and is highly corrosive.

I thought 1st time they used salt water was to cooldown reactor to prevent meltdown at this year Japan disaster.

Generally its bad idea as salt can stick at parts and is highly corrosive.
In that case they were using saltwater directly. I believe it's pretty common to use a nearby water source as a heat exchanger for a reactor, which cools a closed loop system.

This page lists a few reactors with "sea" listed as their cooling method:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/cooling_power_plants_inf121.html

In the case of Fukushima, they were actually pumping sea water directly into the reactor. That would be like pouring sea water on your CPU to cool it down. :)

I think it's pretty nifty in theory. If it'll work in reality or not I have no clue but like I said... still pretty cool in theory.

Good find, turbohans.:thup: One thing that really helps them out with this system is that the water temp up there is really cold to start with, making this system much more efficient. Although cooling by heat exchanger isn't new, it probably is new to cooling a data center and it should be extremely efficient compared to phase or evaporative cooling. After all, it's just pumps that aren't having to buck any significant pressure, but rather just circulate water.

They use seawater heat exchanger cooling on quite a few drilling rigs to cool their generating equipment prime movers.

Good find, turbohans.:thup: One thing that really helps them out with this system is that the water temp up there is really cold to start with, making this system much more efficient. Although cooling by heat exchanger isn't new, it probably is new to cooling a data center and it should be extremely efficient compared to phase or evaporative cooling. After all, it's just pumps that aren't having to buck any significant pressure, but rather just circulate water.

They use seawater heat exchanger cooling on quite a few drilling rigs to cool their generating equipment prime movers.

:chair: Sorry I thread-jacked the op though!! That is a nice article that was linked no doubt! I am just a kinesthetic person and was checking out Google's Youtube channel recently and watched the first video I linked.
The second video of the seawater cooled data-center is only a few days old though!! :thup: (and after watching both, you get a real good perspective of this!!)

Back