• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt Stacking Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
I have been reading up on peltier stacking lately. At first it sounds like an excelent idea since your delta t would be something like 140c under ideal conditions. After looking at a few tests with pelt stacking it looks like no one is having any luck. It looks like every setup I have seen so far used a 72-80 watt pelt on the bottom but only 152 watt or so on the top. In every case the 152 gets way to much load from the 80 watt and the CPUs heat. What if I were to try a 226 watt pelt and an 80 underneeth? Assuming I can get rid of the massive heat load from the 2 pelts and CPU I think it would work great. Any thoughts?

:eek:
you'll just have to really square up your numbers precisely,
and consider the efficiency each pelt is working at.
No experience with pelts and no plans to use them,
but from what I've read it looks like you have to really plan how to get those 150 to 200 pounds force on them and cold plate,
also I think the cross section area has to go up in the stack and you'll have to use a very good big custom made water block.

Bender im hopping your gonna try it out with the Celeron 667@1120 2.0v 4c full load setup and not the tb, right :), Also have you ever though of using an 96 wattere under the 226 it would give you that extra umph. But stacking an 80 w under a 226 would work great IMO, that is if you could get the condensation down and keep your water cool(bong suggested highly here). What do i base this from well i had a 30w a 54 w and a 122 watt pelt laying arround and got really board one day and decided to stack the the 122 watter over the 54 watter and it was working miracle with no load and while trying to think of how to further test it the 30w pelt popped inbto my head so I added it under the 54 watter as to simulate a load and it work really nice i was reachin -21 @ the coldplate under the 30w( 118 and 54 w running @ 13,8v and the 30 w @ 11v). And in all the aspects the ratios here are about the same as the setup you are talking about(even you is alot better). But the though part would be to dissipate all that heat from the wb it would require a very good wb sumthin with ½ channel and good flow rate for sure. Also the problem of powering all those pelts comes to mind say if youd run them @ 12v that be over 24A :(. But it would work wonders IMO :)

Yeah this is definately for the celeron not the athlon. If I have to scrap the idea the 226 watt pelt is going on my athon so its not a big loss. The celeron is already water cooled with a pelt so it won't need much modding. If I can keep the celeron even at -10c I will be able to run it at 1200 or more. Right now it crashes under full load once it reaches about -5 to 0. If I can hit 1240 my pci bus gets a break at 31mhz insted of 40. I had 1240 long enough to see soft fsb say 1240 but thats it. I have been making waterblocks lately so a 2 TEC block won't be a problem. As for pelt power I can run the 80 from the psu the rest of the comp is on and for the 226 I am still looking on ebay. I really want a powerstat variable power supply but its going to cost me quite a bit. The dual pelt thing won't happen soon since I am in the middle of selling parts to build a water cooled Micro ATX athlon system. If these two projects work out I will be one happy camper.

Stacking? Hmmm, I don't know about that. Pelts are only good for moving heat, transferring it. If you have one pelt be more powerful than the other the more powerful one will experience problems moving, and will eventually overheat and die, leaving you with a nice layer of insulation. Better to stick them side by side, IMO. :burn:

Sticking them side by side would do me nothing. A celeron isn't a tough chip to cool so even a single 120 would do just as good as 2 larger pelts side by side. Most pelts have a delta T around 70c so a single 226 would still do me no good over the 120. I need a very high delta T; thats why I wanted to stack them. For now I might just try a single 120 but I want to litteraly max this chip out. The only thing really holding me back is a PSU for the 226 watt pelt. I need about 24 amps constant.

Back