• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

use nimh instead of nicd battery?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nookuwn

Hi,

I'm looking battery replacement for my cordless phones (VT2468 and VT CS-5111-2). I looked up on ebay for the battery model required and I notice they come in either Ni-Mh or Ni-Cd. The original batteries from the phones are Ni-Cd but would Ni-Mh work?

Also anyone can recommend a good source for batteries?

Thanks

Nimh should work, and AFAK, they are rechargeable. Some places on the 'net recommend nimh, some nicd. I can tell you from personal experience that I've had good luck with the nimh batteries with a compatible recharger.

The only concern I would have is that the nicd charger for the phone might not be compatible with nimh batteries. You run the risk of damaging the nimh batteries if it's not a "smart charger" that can detect nicd vs nimh and change charging characteristics appropriately.

thanks for replies, not enough definite answers. The Ni-Mh seem to be better performer but I guess I'll stick with what's safe.

Ni-MH batteries should not be damaged by a NiCd charger. The reason for that is NiCd holds a charge .05-.1v lower than NiMh does. The one you have to watch out for is Lion or LiPo batteries. They require strict charging voltages and load sensing. IMO NiCd and NiMh are interchangable anytime so long as they are the same number of cells.

Back