• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a Pro in OC (i7 960)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hanssen

Intel I7 960

Hey,
I'm quite new to overclocking and I wanted to get the max out of my system. I've been reading alot of different post/guides to overclock, but I think it would be nice if a person shows me once wich Volts/frequency's I must use on my system.( I want to get the max out of it!:) )

Here are the specs of my system
Intel i7 -960
Asus rampage 3 gene
Corsair 12 GB DDR3-1600 Tri-Kit
MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5
Corsair H70
850W power supply

I rly hope some "pro" can help me:)

thx!

Each chip is different so YOU will have to find out what it can do by careful experimentation.

For 4ghz try these settings:
1.275v Vcore
1.275v QPIv
200x20 Bclk and Mulitplier
Run the RAM at it's exact specs listed
Turn off speed step, C1e and turbo boost
Make sure to make most of your settings manual and not auto
Set the QPI frequency to the lowest multi

That should be about it. You might need more or less volts depending on your CPU. It's all trial and error.

For 4ghz try these settings:
1.275v Vcore
1.275v QPIv
200x20 Bclk and Mulitplier
Run the RAM at it's exact specs listed
Turn off speed step, C1e and turbo boost
Make sure to make most of your settings manual and not auto
Set the QPI frequency to the lowest multi

That should be about it. You might need more or less volts depending on your CPU. It's all trial and error.

As we speak the system is running at 4 ghz ( Prime is running)
evrything is very stable (so far)
but i needed to raise the Vcore to 1.35V

What is now the best way to go to 4.5 Ghz?

The higher the QPI, the more instabilities you'll have. And it really doesn't tap into performance at all. 4.5ghz is in your dreams. The H70's best is 4.2ghz and that's with modest Vcore. If you chip need 1.35v for 4ghz, then that's pretty bad considering most get it to 4ghz with only 1.275v. You'll burn up your chip at 4.5ghz.

Back