• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modern Warfare 3 to charge monthly rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey, the guy who runs that company said in a press conference no one will ever have to pay for call of duty monthl, if this actually happened then he would be a lying sob ;p

No mess, just don't be suckered into the "elite" content :rolleyes:

I was planning on trying BF3 this time around though, since I've heard good things about BF2.

ill get bf3 since i spend something like 90+ hours on bf2. Ive played COD:BO for 15 minutes at my cousins house and wasnt impressed. i probably wont be getting either their new service or new game. I just feel bad for the people that are gonna pay just cause their friends are. The services they are offering are cool if they were free, but the competitions and other organized events just dont seem worth the $$$ every month.

hey, the guy who runs that company said in a press conference no one will ever have to pay for call of duty monthl, if this actually happened then he would be a lying sob ;p

You still don't have to pay monthly to play CoD, you can just for extra features that are not necessary. I don't like CoD, but I have to be fair for what they are offering.

This is the first step in making CoD pay to play. Ease into the idea of charging $10 a month for bonus stuff (like this) and slowly make that bonus stuff a bigger and bigger part of the game.

Like I said earlier. Death to CoD. The entire genre is suffering on every platform because of that series.

No mess, just don't be suckered into the "elite" content :rolleyes:

I was planning on trying BF3 this time around though, since I've heard good things about BF2.

BF bad company 2 is awesome. never boring to play and very fun.

See now i have to play it for some skilled headshots =)

So, they're bringing "order" to organized clans and matches, as well as a centralized service. Is it really worth the premium per month though?

Well I got out of cod during modern warfare. IDK game was good I just idk I guess discovered wow lol or something then.

Anyway my work buddies begged me to pick up black ops for my ps3. I got it and to be honest i'm hooked on the game more then ever. I love zombie mode and I love playing online period lol game's pretty good and the service might be cool. Just have to see.

Ok, so paying for these FPS starts out as something optional. A bonus. Added content.

Pretty soon they start tying in extra weapons (m1 garand anyone) that only members of the Monthly Plan can access. Maps, etc.

It'll get to the point where you need to pay the monthly subscription just to compete. And if your friends have the subscription, and you don't, you won't be able to play on the new and exciting maps.

If other publishers follow suit, Activision will up the ante by removing the free multiplayer entirely. The other major publishers (and they seem to make the best FPSs) also want to make this money grab, and transition to a different and more profitable licensing/business model.

I can't really see this happening any other way. This is the dream of the industry. Just like our slow erosion of personal rights in this country, the march is on to remove our freedom from our gaming overlords.

Back