• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1090T CPU Limit of 4GHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K93George

Registered
Well well well... It seemed like a very promising chip, running up to 3.8GHz @ 1.3v and passing 2h of IntelBurnTest on Maximum with 8GB of RAM. I was smiling with joy.

Temps under 37c but as I kept going up I found myself struggling to get 4.1Ghz stable, I kept trying and trying, all sorts of different settings, and temps below 49c on the worse settings (1.55-1.6v complete overkill I know but I needed to be certain) it just refused by all means.

I haven't seen 1 BSOD, I mean seriously not even 1. Complete computer shutdowns trying to get above 4.1GHz, I stressed to hear those 3000rpm fans spin down to 0. The sound is something I fear to this day lol

I eventually took a step back and thought, I bought this CPU and it was stated to run at 3.2GHz, I shouldn't suspect it to go above that, anything that does is free performance =) This got me going strong, and I found other good traits, the NB loves reaching 3.2GHz (not that I run it at the that), I tuned everything on the RAM, I mean every single different timing, clock by clock and running benchmarks 8+ times getting averages and finding the best settings lol (obsessive)

End result... 4040MHz at 1.3875v (no, it will not go above that, AT ALL. Don't bother with, change the NB Voltage, HT voltage, try this that.) I seriously stayed up all night and slept for 1-2h at a time waiting for the stability tests to finish xD

To the point, the NB is 3030 at 1.26v (it can run lower but that is for another sleepless night lol) The RAM is still a work in progess, I might overvolt but I am not sure.

Anyway, out of all this I am sort of dissappointed and really want to blame the MSI board with its pathetic DrMos that exceeds 90c for no good reason. So, realistically, I shouldn't care about reaching 4.1+? I have to admit, all this obession over 4.1+ is very fun though, I love it but hate it all at the same time.

So to sum it up, my O.C adventures have been very fun and come next month I will probably start changing every voltage I lay my eyes on to see the changes they provide. If I destroy anything, lesson learned. Do it again to prove it lol

My CPU won't budge higher then 4.2ghz even if I load crazy voltages. I don't need it higher then 4ghz and my CPU at 4.2ghz will start to overheat but I like going crazy high for benchmarks. I don't think it's the motherboard. If you were to lay some LN2 then you'd probably be able to get it much higher than 4.1ghz. You won't see really more performance, I know i was fairly obsessed with it for a while. When LGA 2011 CPU's come out, buy that and then you'll be doing 5ghz+ real easy. I actually am guessing that these will go near 6ghz on air because of the 22nm transistor. I have MSI board and the Dr. MOS works very well keeping my VRM's cool. Every component has its limits and it seems you found yours. 4ghz is great and you should just leave it at that and enjoy your system.

yeah alot of amd chips i have go that, go up very well then stop suddenly, my 965 tops out around 4.4ghz and then is stubborn there onwards. 4ghz is still great though!

Thanks BigTerminator,

I guess it was my first build and I was just struck by all these awesome settings that could be adjusted lol I have O.C in the past but not anything serious, and you make a good point as well regardng the limits. It would probably O.C a lot higher at lower temps but this is it's limit for these temps =)

I should stop picking on the MSI board, it is a great board but it has got the unfortunate job of taking all the verbal abuse a I throw at it (not sure why...)

Thanks TheQuadFather,

I am quite happy with my system but I want more and MORE! xD Well, I have taken rest from the O.C too much fun in 1 day (or night) for me lol

K93George you've still managed to get into the 4Gb club, there a lot of peeps out there that either can't afford it or their chip just won't go there.
kick back and enjoy the Mhz er Ghz! :)

Thanks oldbrave,

I wish I was able to be part of the 4.3Ghz club ;) Jokes, but good job!

In other news, at least I don't have to run the fans at 100%, the Scythe Kaze 3000s are quite loud, especially 3 of them. (1 intake and 2 in a push-pull config on the H70 rad) They are running at 50%, which brings them to about 1300RPM. I call this setting (Peace n' Quite) lol Of course the temps are 5-7c more but under 50 none the less on IntelBurnTest =D

K93George you've still managed to get into the 4Gb club, there a lot of peeps out there that either can't afford it or their chip just won't go there.
kick back and enjoy the Mhz er Ghz! :)

I am one of those.. despite my best efforts I cant even get to 3.8ghz without crazy voltage on my 1090t.. :rain:

But I blame my board, guess I'll find out when I get a crosshair IV

Don't stress too much about it repilce, it is amazing when you just start to enjoy the computer and play the games you love rather than constantly worry about why your CPU won't reach given clocks and that you feel like your wasting money because your not running it at its full potential and such.

At least I felt that way, but I have finally backed off, I have planned 2 more upgrades for this PC and I am done untill Windows 8 (don't ask why but I have chosen its release as a reason to spend money) Second 6850 coming in and later on I will complete the lighting in the case, getting rid of the last 2 stock blue LED fans and replacing them with some black fans that not only look nice but provide better airflow, that and 3 more lights. Plan on having the entire 4 right near each side of the window of the PC just hidden but being able to make the window look like it is glowing =)

Don't stress too much about it repilce, it is amazing when you just start to enjoy the computer and play the games you love rather than constantly worry about why your CPU won't reach given clocks and that you feel like your wasting money because your not running it at its full potential and such.

At least I felt that way, but I have finally backed off, I have planned 2 more upgrades for this PC and I am done untill Windows 8 (don't ask why but I have chosen its release as a reason to spend money) Second 6850 coming in and later on I will complete the lighting in the case, getting rid of the last 2 stock blue LED fans and replacing them with some black fans that not only look nice but provide better airflow, that and 3 more lights. Plan on having the entire 4 right near each side of the window of the PC just hidden but being able to make the window look like it is glowing =)

I hear ya mate, The older I get, the more I just want to "use" my computer lol..

Very true indeed replice, why else did we get them in the first place? Get the O.C out of the way and enjoy your freshly built PC =)

Back