Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

12v deep cycle batteries: charging via alternator?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 06-02-11, 10:48 AM Thread Starter   #1
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

12v deep cycle batteries: charging via alternator?

Right, I've been searching high and low to figure this out, and now I'm at good ol OCF.

Basically, I need to find a way to charge a large (100-200ah) battery via a car alternator. Now I know it can't just be lopped on to the preexisting 12v circuit in the car and all, but I think I'm going to need some sort of voltage regulator going to the deep cycle. Problem is, I have no clue what to get. All I can find is expensive chargers that work from 120v, not 12v. The only alternative seems to be buying a AGM battery for about twice the price just so it doesn't need anything fancy to be charged.

The only other options for charging would be solar panels ($$$) or a generator ($$$$), so... what should I do?

Member of the MOAR VOLTS™ club.
KonaKona is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 11:59 AM   #2
Bobnova

It can totally just be connected to a car. The alternator will charge it more slowly and be under a bit more stress than if there was only one battery connected, but it'll work fine.

Failing that, you can run an alternator off a lawn mower motor, I built a charger like that.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 12:54 PM Thread Starter   #3
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Ah, well that makes things a lot easier. I'll probably keep a voltmeter on it to keep track of what voltage is going to it, but it's good to know I won't need to spend a few hundred on voltage regulators.

Time to go spend money!

EDIT: The thanks button is gone, so just pretend I clicked it.

Old 06-02-11, 01:07 PM   #4
Mpegger

10 Year Badge

Any reason why you cannot just get a cheap charger from a local car parts store? Many alternators don't start charging till after a certain RPM, so I would imagine you would be spending more on gas, then just getting a charger and leaving it charging over night.

-----------------------------
[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB]
"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Hitler

(Microsucks) Avatar and quote on loan from AntmanMike
Heatware
Mpegger is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 03:44 PM Thread Starter   #5
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpegger View Post
Any reason why you cannot just get a cheap charger from a local car parts store? Many alternators don't start charging till after a certain RPM, so I would imagine you would be spending more on gas, then just getting a charger and leaving it charging over night.
I won't have a wall to plug into most of the time, although I'm already getting a charger for the occasions when I actually do.

Old 06-02-11, 10:06 PM   #6
CompuTamer
Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name

Just make sure that your alternator has the headroom to charge a second battery while powering everything for the car. They're not really meant to charge batteries from anything below about 10% if i remember correctly. (Granted, this was for a alternator for a Hyundai Excel, not a powerful car)

8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Samsung 250GB SSD
Antec 900.................................................. .......................................All Metal Body
BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Lenovo Power Brick + 54Whr Battery
XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............Intel HD4400
Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......13.6" 3200x1800 Touchscreen
Windows 7 Ultimate.................................................. ..........................Windows 8.1
Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.
CompuTamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 10:12 PM   #7
nd4spdbh2

question... why are you putting a deep cycle batt in a car?

#12 in the 4ghz core 2 duo club baby! - 52 inches of CRYSIS! - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r -- Heatware
Main -- Lian Li V2000b -- i7 2700k -- MSI Z68A-GD80 -- 12gb 1600 -- GTX560Ti --Adata 128gb S510 & 2x500gb -- Seasonic S12 600w -- Dell 2209WA
HTPC -- Silverstone GD05B -- E7200 @ 3.2ghz -- G41-M7 -- 4GB 800mhz -- g210 passive -- 320gb 2.5in WD -- Antec EA 430w -- 52inch Samsung LCD
Server -- Antec NSK4480B -- E3300 @ 2.5ghz -- ECS G33T-M2 -- 3gb 667mhz -- Onboard Vid -- 500Gb + 1TB hatachi + 1tb WD -- Zalman 400w
Netbook - Dell Mini 9 - Atom 1.6ghz - 8GB ssd - 2GB pc6400 - WIN 7 PRO!
Need 4 Speed - BH
nd4spdbh2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-03-11, 08:59 AM Thread Starter   #8
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuTamer View Post
Just make sure that your alternator has the headroom to charge a second battery while powering everything for the car. They're not really meant to charge batteries from anything below about 10% if i remember correctly. (Granted, this was for a alternator for a Hyundai Excel, not a powerful car)
I think my van is supposed to have a 78 amp, I have to go take a look. Probably get that done today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh2 View Post
question... why are you putting a deep cycle batt in a car?
Hard to live without electricity, no?

Old 06-03-11, 12:09 PM   #9
Trottel

What is this for, a small boat with an outboard motor?

Do realize that you will need to run your car's engine for hours on end in order to charge that battery. It just does not make much sense.

Old 06-03-11, 04:03 PM Thread Starter   #10
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottel View Post
What is this for, a small boat with an outboard motor?

Do realize that you will need to run your car's engine for hours on end in order to charge that battery. It just does not make much sense.
A van.

I'll be driving on the highway a good bit so using the alternator to charge won't hurt at all.

Old 06-03-11, 04:25 PM   #11
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKona View Post
A van.

I'll be driving on the highway a good bit so using the alternator to charge won't hurt at all.
A van? Are you having trouble with the DC to AC kicking off?

Current Active Fleet:
Daily Driver - i7@3.8, 16GB Ram, 6770 GFX Bedroom PC - SB Celerey @ 1.6, 4GB Ram
Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - 661@3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFXLiving Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram

Game Rig - 2500K@4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
Test Bed - 3570K with various components and a TT 750w PSU
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-03-11, 04:32 PM   #12
nd4spdbh2

if its a camper type van i could see the use in a second 12v deep cycle batt that you use when your parked camping for a coupla days. thers no harm in using the alternator to charge it , but like stated make sure you have either 1. a beefy nuf alternator to charge both batts at a time. 2. get a beffier one, or 3, get a second one.

#12 in the 4ghz core 2 duo club baby! - 52 inches of CRYSIS! - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r -- Heatware
Main -- Lian Li V2000b -- i7 2700k -- MSI Z68A-GD80 -- 12gb 1600 -- GTX560Ti --Adata 128gb S510 & 2x500gb -- Seasonic S12 600w -- Dell 2209WA
HTPC -- Silverstone GD05B -- E7200 @ 3.2ghz -- G41-M7 -- 4GB 800mhz -- g210 passive -- 320gb 2.5in WD -- Antec EA 430w -- 52inch Samsung LCD
Server -- Antec NSK4480B -- E3300 @ 2.5ghz -- ECS G33T-M2 -- 3gb 667mhz -- Onboard Vid -- 500Gb + 1TB hatachi + 1tb WD -- Zalman 400w
Netbook - Dell Mini 9 - Atom 1.6ghz - 8GB ssd - 2GB pc6400 - WIN 7 PRO!
Need 4 Speed - BH
nd4spdbh2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-03-11, 06:25 PM Thread Starter   #13
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
A van? Are you having trouble with the DC to AC kicking off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh2 View Post
if its a camper type van i could see the use in a second 12v deep cycle batt that you use when your parked camping for a coupla days. thers no harm in using the alternator to charge it , but like stated make sure you have either 1. a beefy nuf alternator to charge both batts at a time. 2. get a beffier one, or 3, get a second one.
With any luck I'll find out what's in it this weekend or monday. I'm pretty sure it's a 78 amp though.

Old 06-03-11, 07:30 PM   #14
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKona View Post
My inverter kicks off when the sound on the mobile theater is kicked up while watching a DVD, both ACs are kicking and I hit the brakes. I have been thinking of adding a batterey above the cab.

Current Active Fleet:
Daily Driver - i7@3.8, 16GB Ram, 6770 GFX Bedroom PC - SB Celerey @ 1.6, 4GB Ram
Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - 661@3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFXLiving Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram

Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-03-11, 07:36 PM Thread Starter   #15
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Oh, I haven't tested it yet but I don't think it'll draw more than the inverter can handle. I don't see why the inverter is kicking off because of the power input though, have you ran a voltmeter to the inverter connection to see if it's actually dropping the volts too much? It might just be the inverter itself, we had one that would cut out way before it's rated voltage.

Old 06-03-11, 07:50 PM   #16
CompuTamer
Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
My inverter kicks off when the sound on the mobile theater is kicked up while watching a DVD, both ACs are kicking and I hit the brakes. I have been thinking of adding a batterey above the cab.

Ha, break lights = straw that broke the camel's back?

Our car has issues with running the AC, the Bright lights, the breaklights, and the radio at the same time. It has a 120amp alternator on a 136HP engine Turning the bright lights on actually bogs the engine down. As does turning the blower up to max.

PS: Can i have your van? Pretty please? That thing looks awesome

8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Samsung 250GB SSD
Antec 900.................................................. .......................................All Metal Body
BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Lenovo Power Brick + 54Whr Battery
XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............Intel HD4400
Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......13.6" 3200x1800 Touchscreen
Windows 7 Ultimate.................................................. ..........................Windows 8.1
Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.
CompuTamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-03-11, 07:54 PM   #17
Archer0915
"The Expert"

The inverter has a built in sensor that tells it that the batterey is not providing enough i. The sensor is way off though because my batterey powered a lot more than that using other inverters. Easiest thing I guess would be swap out the inverter but it would be useless if I removed it (I mounted and epoxyed it) because it would be destroyed in the process.

Current Active Fleet:

Old 06-03-11, 07:59 PM   #18
Wathnix

10 Year Badge

I would recommend that you run your wiring from the Van's battery terminals to your deep cycle battery and have a 100 amp fuse between the two batteries, connected on the positive wire and physically locate the fuse as near to the van's battery terminals as you can. You should be able to buy the fuse and fuse holder cheap at an auto parts supplier.

A deep cycle batter is the same as a regular car battery but it is made to lose more of it's charge without damaging the battery AS MUCH as a regular lead acid. If you totally discharge a brand new car battery and leave around for a few weeks it will be totally dead.

I would also recommend you only start charging the deep cycle after you have been running the van for at least 10 minutes, give the alternator time to charge the van's battery before you throw more stress on it. Also keep in mind that you are putting alot more stress on your charging system. You can expect to replace your van's battery and alternator sooner or more often than usual.

You may want to simply consider buying a small portable generator. I think some of them can also charge deep cycle batteries.

Old 06-03-11, 08:15 PM   #19
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuTamer View Post
PS: Can i have your van? Pretty please? That thing looks awesome
Dude this thing rides better than a Caddy and still had acceleration at 100+ I could never part with it. If my wife and I are having a fight there is nutin better for fishing.

Current Active Fleet:

Old 06-06-11, 12:58 PM   #20
JCLW

10 Year Badge

A flooded deep cycle battery has fewer, thicker plates that resist warping when deeply discharged.

A flooded starting battery has lots of thin plates (more surface area) for higher cranking amps.

Most car alternators are not rated continuous duty. However your van one might be.

If you have a continuous duty alternator you want an automatic charging relay such as: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/387

If you have an intermittent duty alternator, or if you want to separately regulate the charging of your deep cycle bank you want a DC-DC charger such as:
http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...y-charger.aspx

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.