Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Should I reapply thermal paste?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 05:25 PM Thread Starter   #1
TickleMyElmo

Should I reapply thermal paste?

I applied some thermal paste before I realed my new cpu cooler didnt come with screws just push pins. So I had to run to the hardware store to get some screws. Its been about 45 min. since I applied it and left it sitting. Should I remove that and reapply or will it warm up again and reset once I have the pc running?

GPU-Gigabyte GTX 780ti Windforce
SSD-SanDisk Extreme 240gb
HD-WD Caviar Black 1tb
RAM-Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb @ 1600
CPU Cooler-Corsair h100i
Case-NZXT Phantom 630
TickleMyElmo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 05:32 PM   #2
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

You always remove the old thermal paste and reapply to get a proper spread. You could get air bubbles and uneven coverage unless you start all over.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 06:45 PM   #3
capttripppp

You took off your heatsink? Awesome dude!!! I mean that! You were worried about moving fans around and now you took off the heatsink and worked with it. See it's not at all hard is it? A little bit intimidating at first but not so bad once you do it. Next thing you know you will building a rig yourself!

"I just picked up some Vaseline and a big syringe. I'm thinking using the syringe will make it easier to put the Vaseline in all the little hard to reach spots. I'm hoping to get to mess with it tonight, if so I'll post some videos" Convicted1
capttripppp is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 07:59 PM   #4
mbentley
Gloriously Lead
Overclockix Chief Architect

10 Year Badge

Conumdrum is 100% correct. when i buy a tube of thermal paste (i prefer arctic silver myself), i always buy a large tube because i know i will go through it faster than i realize. you don't want to be caught with your heatsink off without any thermal paste on hand, i know from experience

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net
mbentley is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 08:19 PM Thread Starter   #5
TickleMyElmo

Yea, I bout an Antec 300 case and a new heatsink and fan (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Rev. 2.) for my old system. I got everything in there even though it took me 4 hours to do so. It turns on but no display. I've tried 3 monitors I have. Then the skythe kaze fans I bout for the case, the four pins fell apart on me. Gonna return them tomorrow. Not sure why there is no display. Well, atleast I tried.

HD-WD Caviar Black 1tb
CPU Cooler-Corsair h100i
Case-NZXT Phantom 630
Old 06-02-11, 08:30 PM   #6
capttripppp

Are you using on board graphics or a gpu?

"I just picked up some Vaseline and a big syringe. I'm thinking using the syringe will make it easier to put the Vaseline in all the little hard to reach spots. I'm hoping to get to mess with it tonight, if so I'll post some videos" Convicted1
capttripppp is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 08:56 PM Thread Starter   #7
TickleMyElmo

Tried 2 different gpu's. a 9800gt and the one that was in there before, a 9500gt. Neither show anything.

HD-WD Caviar Black 1tb
CPU Cooler-Corsair h100i
Case-NZXT Phantom 630
Old 06-02-11, 09:04 PM   #8
capttripppp

Strange, you should start a thread about it. I am more then positive you will find the help that you need. I wish I knew more. Do you have on board graphics? If so it may need to be disabled in the bios, and that's why the cards aren't working

Old 06-02-11, 09:07 PM Thread Starter   #9
TickleMyElmo

Good idea. I start a thread.

HD-WD Caviar Black 1tb
CPU Cooler-Corsair h100i
Case-NZXT Phantom 630
Old 06-02-11, 09:09 PM   #10
capttripppp

I wish I could help more, but I am just learning the ropes, and reading alot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool