• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OH NO! Had to reinstall XP...Now all drives reported as scsi in device manager!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

GA-965P-DS3 Win XP pro SP3
Can I undo this without another reformat? I have 2 HDs connected to the purple SATA port, and 2 DVD burners connecdted to the IDE port. All of them used to "show" as IDE in device manager...now ALL 4 drives are reported as SCSI in device manager under the GIG GBB36X controller. They are working, but some software will not recognize the optical drives as burners! I can force them to burn using other programs such as CD Burner XP.

no BIOS changes...after XP install I installed chipset drivers. I installed Gigabytes drivers and think I should have installed the Intel ones...wondering if I could just uninstall the Gigabyte controller and install the Intel ones.:bang head

Yeah, you can uninstall the Gigabyte controller. The intel drivers are probably the ones you want. No big deal.

Just right click all the stuff you don't want in device manager and uninstall away! Windows will continue to recognize the drives even if the drivers are uninstalled.

OMG! IT WORKKED!
All I had to do is uninstall the Gigabyte GBB36X controller in Device Manager. and when I rebooted everything was back to normal!!!!:thup:

Forgive my noobness...
Is SCSI a bad thing compared to IDE?
Isn't SATA better than IDE and therefore you'd want SATA instead of IDE?

SCSI in this case is odd because it's incorrect. You don't want a SCSI driver installed on an IDE device - it'll cause program to identify the devices incorrectly and screw stuff up.

Back