• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X58A-uD3R AND i7 950 old technology?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mhypertext

Question.

I bought the board dont have a chip yet am i building old technology thats on its way out if i build this rig? i noticed newegg only has like 4 or 5 1366 chips. whats everyone building thses days i have not done a build in about 5 years and i am way over due.

Please note i game alot so if you make suggestions gear towards gaming.

First off I'd really suggest you return that motherboard and go Sandy Bridge or wait for Ivy Bridge because you are right, it's old tech and will be obsolete soon. If you are keen on keeping the Motherboard and going X58 then the CPU you'll want is the i7 960 or i7 950. I'm guessing you can't afford the $500+ hexa core.

Agreed with the above. There isn't any reason to invest in Socket1366 stuff at this point with Sandy Bridge available for the same/cheaper price.

it's agreat board, I've been running for almost a year now. but if I was to build a system now, Id go with the i5/i7 2600k or so. The UD3R boaard has ALOT of over clocking options, just make sure you turn the cpu auto voltage off and set it yourself, im running the cpu 15c less over clocked to 3.8 from 2.8 then i was at defult settings.

considering there is a dual cpu ivybridge+1366 board I doubt it will go out just yet.. its older than SB, but it's still extremely capable.. very few apps/games take advantage of 4 cores let alone more.. if its more affordable than SB, stick with it IMO..

considering there is a dual cpu ivybridge+1366 board I doubt it will go out just yet.. its older than SB, but it's still extremely capable.. very few apps/games take advantage of 4 cores let alone more.. if its more affordable than SB, stick with it IMO..

What are talking about dual CPU Ivy bridge? Ivy bridge is LGA 2011 not 1366. You were probably talking about the EVGA SR-2 board, but I doubt this guy has $600+ to spend on the board and then at least another $600 for two CPU's. His case won't even fit it. 1366 lasted 2 1/2 good solid years but it's not in the spotlight anymore. Sandy Bridge kills it clock per clock and overclocks near 5ghz. I am personally waiting for Ivy Bridge because those will be 22nm, have quad channel memory, PCIe 3.0 and I'm guessing will overclock well over 5ghz. I have 1156 which is pretty much the same performance as 1366 and it's still very powerful, but you can get much better performance for the money.

What are talking about dual CPU Ivy bridge? Ivy bridge is LGA 2011 not 1366. You were probably talking about the EVGA SR-2 board, but I doubt this guy has $600+ to spend on the board and then at least another $600 for two CPU's. His case won't even fit it. 1366 lasted 2 1/2 good solid years but it's not in the spotlight anymore. Sandy Bridge kills it clock per clock and overclocks near 5ghz. I am personally waiting for Ivy Bridge because those will be 22nm, have quad channel memory, PCIe 3.0 and I'm guessing will overclock well over 5ghz. I have 1156 which is pretty much the same performance as 1366 and it's still very powerful, but you can get much better performance for the money.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6873389&postcount=38

attachment.php

granted it is a concept and not 'guaranteed' to come out. so who knows.

Back