• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my first GPU review (gbt GTX560), would like input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

It's my third review all time, but my first GPU review, and I'm curious if I covered all the bases that y'all would like to see.
I'd have loved to have a 6870 to put it against head to head, but I couldn't come up with one.

Anyway, the review is here, and I'd love input on it.

I am by no means a super qualified individual but it covers all the main points that i would look for in a review if i was in the market for a new video card. I love first hand reviews and often make my buying decisions based on what people have done with the hardware.
Good job! :)

I'm actually working on my first one as well :D

What resolution was Lost Planet 2 run at, the default?

I noticed when you listed memory clocks you say 2000MHz (4000MHz DDR), isn't it supposed to be 1000MHz (2000MHz DDR) based on the GPU-Z information?

It's GDDR5, so there's the base clock speed of 1000 (for this card), there's the rate each separate clock channel is running (2000 each, separate cycles 90* off each other), and there is the grand total GDDR5 speed of 4000mhz, which is how often a chunk of data/command is being sent.
GDDR5 is crazy that way.
I should probably explain that in future reviews.

I actually have no clue what Lost Planet runs at, it doesn't give me the option to change it!

Thanks for checking it out and getting back to me, I appreciate it.

Matt, what are you reviewing? Reviews are fun, though grueling at times! (The memory reviews using Sandra and 32m took for eeeeeveeeeer)

Overall, nicely done!

* You have the technical specs in there about 3 times
* Assuming whats in the box may not be the best idea
* TMI - Maybe its b/c I know a fair amount about GPU's but AIDA info and sensor info from GPUz I could do without.
* You have a graph there with Unigine heaven but the GTX 560 isnt in it?
*Stock clocks score in vantage vs overclocked show no gain..."Stock clocks 19870" but the overclocked score shows 19790...less?
EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhh I get it you were talking about the OVERALL score in Vantage!! The formatting of the pages was the issue there.

Nothing against the writing so much as it is the format on teh site. 10 pages and I barely scroll. My personal preference is to make the page length longer so I dont have to flip through so many pages. I got confused with what I was looking at b/c the pages seperated to quickly for me.

Again though, well done!!

The AIDA64 people gave the site owner some keys, I'm stuck with it :(
I'll keep that in mind on the sensor info, as well as the number of pages vs. scrolling.
Might be time for me to force a change over there!

It's GDDR5, so there's the base clock speed of 1000 (for this card), there's the rate each separate clock channel is running (2000 each, separate cycles 90* off each other), and there is the grand total GDDR5 speed of 4000mhz, which is how often a chunk of data/command is being sent.
GDDR5 is crazy that way.
I should probably explain that in future reviews.

Hynix rates their GDDR5 chips like any other DDR memory, like 2500MHz effective and 1250MHz actual, so your listing confused me. GDDR5 does have twice as many clock channels as other memory, so 2 lines at 2000MHz each. It's accurate to list it as 4000MHz?

I actually have no clue what Lost Planet runs at, it doesn't give me the option to change it!

At the title screen there's "Benchmark Test", "PC Settings", and "Quit" so you can change a bunch of settings if you want.

Thanks for checking it out and getting back to me, I appreciate it.

No problem, that's what I do for our frontpage anyway :D

Matt, what are you reviewing? Reviews are fun, though grueling at times! (The memory reviews using Sandra and 32m took for eeeeeveeeeer)

A HD6750 for my first shot at a GPU review.

That's what I get for testing while tired (TWT?), missing PC Settings. lol.

A decent number of the card manufacturers list it as 4000mhz, I think you're right though, I'll go edit that (ahh the powers of being an Editor).

EDIT(heh): I'll stop being lazy and add it to the graphs too. In my defense I was rushed by the owner :chair:

Last edited:
Read it. I'm impressed you have the makings of a great reviewer Bob. I hope you continue to write up reviews in the future. :thup:

That's what I get for testing while tired (TWT?), missing PC Settings. lol.

Bob,

I'm no expert on GPU's by any means but you are doing a fine job. If anyone thinks doing tech reviews is easy, try it.

:thup:

Put my own charts in for Heaven, and combined a couple pages, now there're 8 instead of 10.

You guys made a difference, thanks!

Thanks Ronbert/RollingThunder, I hope to continue.
In theory I'll be reviewing four power supplies and a case sometime soonish here. Building a PSU test rig is brutal.

BTW if y'all look in the classifieds video/sound section you'll see something familiar for sale.

Don't make assumptions for the packaging :p

Would be good if you did a video quality portion and a large selection of games also. :D

Back