• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD vs. LED TV burn in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
I bought this 42" LG right after 1080p first came out, so I paid an arm and a leg for it.. I run the backlight at full brightness. Been using it as a monitor for 3 years now probably.

It's always had an issue with burn in. Everything I've read says LCD's are not supposed to burn in until a static image has been there for several hours. But my tv will have a persistent image on it even after 3 or 4 minutes.

For example, if I left this forum post up and went for a smoke right now, and came back and minimized it, I would be able to read the words still. And I would have to use it for several minutes (15+) to get the persistent image to go away.

After I quit playing Everquest and started playing Aion, I could see my everquest chat windows and hotkeys on my screen for probably 3 weeks or more. Then I started playing rift and I could see the Aion hotkeys and minimap for probably 2 or 3 weeks. Now my Rift UI is burned into the screen haha.

I think it has something to do with it being a first-generation 1080p and having the backlight be on all the way and kinda hot or something.

Do LED TVs have this problem ? I'm seeing some really good prices on them and if it's a whole lot better I might grab one. 120hz would be neat too.

I don't know of many screens that do that... i've never had any issues with burn in on any of my LCD monitors, or TVs. I had a first Generation LCD monitor that would burn in if i left something on it for 4 or 5 hours, but it would go away after a few hours of normal use, or a white screen.

I don't think you'll have any issues like this on any TV you get today. It's odd that you had that issue in the first place. :shrug:

LED is a LCD... LED is the source of the backlighting. Older LCDs use CCFL as backlighting. If I had to guess it has more to do with setting the backlight to full power. None of my LCDs have their backlight set passed half power, that or the image is getting burned in your retinas!

Last edited:
LED is a LCD... LED is the source of the backlighting. Older LCDs use CCFL as backlighting. If I had to guess it has more to do with setting the backlight to full power. None of my LCDs have their backlight set passed half power, that or the inane is getting burned in your retinas!

Yep...I've left the wife's TV on for days, no burn in issues at all. It's not older though, probably about 6 months at best.

Back