• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SLI rig, choices choices!! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

I'm trying to build a new multipurpose rig that does some of everything. It will be doing graphics design, .Net and Java programming, hardcore gaming, and of course the requisite ego-enhancing and friend-shaming, all while being used as a fileserver and game server for several games on a home network tied to fiber optic internet. Most of this will happen concurrently.

I'm stuck. I decided on a 580 SLI rig and to get the components to support a beefier set of video cards in the future. I was planning on dumping 4k on this bad boy but my car recently made noises that got me cost cutting.

For that reason, an overclock is in the more distant future but not now as I've had to drop my plan to watercool for a few paychecks. After dropping things off and going to stock cooling I've brought the overall cost down to $2800 USD, but I'm torn. I'm in a state where Newegg has an office and we have almost 10% sales tax. I've got two "wish lists" between them and mWave, and I need opinions on the equipment from each to see which way I lean.

NEWEGG:

Case : AZZA Solano 1000 Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard :ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION

VGA: EVGA SuperClocked GTX 580 x2 (SLI)

PSU: Antec HCP-1200 1200w PSU with appropriate rails

CPU: Core i7-2600k

HDD: None

SDD: Intel 510 series 120GB SDD

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800

Optical drive: SONY Blu-ray burner

Other: A tube of AS5.

Total : 2586 or so. With tax and shipping around 2850-2900.

MWAVE:

Case : ANTEC TWELVE HUNDRED Chassis Full Tower

Motherboard :ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION

VGA: MSI N580GTX w/twin Frozr cooler x2 (clocked at 800mhz)

PSU: Antec HCP-1200 1200w PSU with appropriate rails

CPU: Core i7-2600k

HDD: 2 TB Western Digital 7200RPM

SDD: Intel 510 series 120GB SDD

RAM: AVEXIR 8GB (4GBx2) PC12800

Optical drive: LG Blu-Ray Burner w/Lightscribe

Other: A tube of AS5.

Total : 2797. With shipping, around 2840.

I know G.Skill and have loved their memory in the past, so I'm not sure $10 less is a good idea, but then again when I upgrade from 8GB I will probably be buying 4 sticks to go to 32 anyway. The 2TB drive isn't strictly necessary but would be preferred due to use as a server, and SEEMS like a better way to spend money then a donation to the Oil Industry via tax (our governor's brother owns Pilot Travel Centers). MSI.....I've never used anything but a motherboard from them, are they reliable? And would i benefit from a Z68 board instead of a P67?

Essentially I need to be talked into one or the other. I've hit that point of "overwhelmed by the market". :comp: HELP!

Edit: THe lack of soundcard is because I have a 3d 7.1 surround headset; putting a Titanium HD in this would be pointless

Last edited:
Both options seem pretty good. If your budget permits, change the SSD to an OCZ Vertex 3 or an Agility 3. The Sandforce controller seems really strong (Review

What kind of a monitor do you have to put the SLI beast to work?

This is going to be hooked up to a 55" Samsung HDTV, 1080p and 120MHZ via HDMI. At that size AA will be implemented in some games.

The SSD choice was due to Intel's reliability. I'm more concerned with the lifetime of the drive than I am the performance, but looking at the sandforce controller now.

Edit: I looked at the prices and equipment and through Newegg only, the OCZ drive is just $10 more. It is not available yet from MWAVE, who curiously instead chose to carry the 1+TB versions for several thousand dollars. Not enough to swap stores but something that may have influence.

Last edited:
As for reliability, that may have more to do with the NAND flash being used. I am running 2 x 80Gb X25M-G1s and an old 60Gb Vertex. These drives have been in place for almost over two years now. No problems whatsoever. However you are right, I've heard fewer complaints (if any) regarding the Intel drives. Not a bad buy by any means.

Back