• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Shopping, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

I'm new to using SSDs. I shied away from them in the past because of the evils of limited write cycles killing them off in around a year to a year and a half.

I'm working on a build and right now I'm looking at the Intel 510 series 160GB drive. Still, I want to be sure I miss nothing here.

Is Intel still the best in the business when it comes to long life of the drives? I selected it on that assumption but I'm seeing up to 2000 years of life projected on SSDs now, so I'm not sure it matters as much (assuming a 3.5g/day write frequency).

Also, I've seen posts about P67 boards having issues with SSD. Are the Z series boards doing the same thing? Did P67 get resolved?

1. That 510 is a solid choice. So is the Vertex3.
2. Long life as in reliability yes, they are solid. But the write issue has been non existent for a couple years now really.
3. You must be talking about the sata issue on P67. This was not an SSD issue, but affected anything plugged in to sata2 ports on P67. That issue was also resolved a couple months ago with the release of "B3" P67 boards.

1. Yes 510-series is a great choice. Intel is solid.
2. 5000 P/E cycles, nothing to be worried about....should be able to write 40G/day for 5 years easily.
3. There's a stuttering issue with the new Marvell controller (Crucial M4, 510 series, 320 series) with P67 boards, same thing should apply to Z68 boards but it is easily fixed by either enabling SATA Hot Plug on the SSD Ports OR disabling the LPM feature in registry (Intel Power Management causes the SSD to freeze up). Don't worry about that.

Back