• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU & GPU too hot even after Zalman 9900 & 6 Fans??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funkymoneky

So I must say, I'm really really worried right now. I don't do any OC. I don't run any hardware intensive games. In fact, the most I ever do is usually just play videos and photoshop. And yet my temps seem to be sky high for what I'm doing.

Can someone help me explain why pls?? I'm really worried!!! :( Considering that I'm not doing anything except downloading and watching vids (i bought the set up for future video/graphics/gaming projects that I have not had time to do yet), it's really hot.

case: Antec p190 (all fans already set to highest speeds)
2x150mm 3 speed top fans
1x120 mm rear 3 speed exhaust fan
2x120 mm Antec TriSpeed front intake fans
1x220 mm side panel fan
motherboard: gigabyte ga-ex58-extreme
CPU: intel i7 920 lga1366
CPU Fan: Zalman 9900 LED
GPU: 2x evga nvidia gtx 280 OC in SLI. really only used to connect 3 monitors and an LG TV to it...
PSU: Corsair 750 HX

I also have 6 x 2 TB Seagate barracuda LP hard drives connected

my temp readings are (according to Speedfan)
CPU: 74C
GPU1: 81C
GPU2: 65C

then it has a few "remotes and locals" that i dunno what they are but they're running at:

temp1: 54 C
temp2: 35 C
temp3: 54 C
local: 67 C
remote 2: 74 c

HW Monitor reads each CPU core at 41 C (so i guess that's better?) but no avg CPU temp. the GPUs are still reading at 79 and 65.

CPU fan is on tight and thermal paste reapplied. Case is dusted, vacuumed, air blown.

Speedfan is very outdated.
Latest beta is perfect for my 2500K and Extreme4 so it doesn't look outdated to me. :)

41°C on cores in idle looks OK for a Nehalem. Launch prime95 and tell us your load temperatures.
What frequencies/VID your video cards have in idle? AFAIK it was (it still is?) a problem with 2 cards and 3 monitors because they don't downclock in idle.

Also your room temperature is?

doing a small FFT test in prime95 after 15 mins, each core temp is 65 C. GPU temps remain the same.

GPU Frequency : 648MHz
Memory Frequency GPU : 1161MHz

omg the moment i loaded up nvida inspector and now my GPU temps have gone down to 64 C and 59 C. this seems more normal but should i still be concerned that it's still a tad warm?

As far as the CPU's concerned, should i look more at "CPU" temp or the temp per core?

.... and how do you figure out "case temp"

It's cores, nothing else on the CPU matters. The temps should have a spread of no more than 10C from hottest to coldest, and thats under load.

Forget case temp. BTW, HW Monitor shows your GPU chip temps just fine. Inspector is nice though, good proggy.

Your GPUs are verry happy under a heavy load using furmark (making sure the test is properly running in SLI) at 90C.

My 470s on air were at idle at 57 on one, 75 on the other. Under test loads they got up to low 90's.

Run Unigine Heaven benchmark program, good load for temps. Furmark is more than you'll ever see in any gaming scenario.

Are your GPUs at stock?

Worry about your CPU and GPU temps. Just them for now. As you learn more you'll undersatnd temps more.

Back