• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this seem normal ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
I am setting up my new I5 2500k tonight on a Asus P8Z68-Vpro

and Ive done all my homework ect and understand the overclocking methods

but i have some Vdroop on this thing and its causing me to set my Vcore quite abit higher in bios to achieve desired vcore in cpuz and core temp is also showing a lower vid.

For instance Im benching @ 4.5Ghz atm around 60-63*C maxed in prime95.
but to get it stable i had to bump vcore to 1.38 and in cpuz its showing 1.336

which program should i believe here. if i believe CPUZ then i have some headroom to bump this chip up some but if i believe the bios im already hitting the limits of the chip.

Opinions plz . thanks.

Edit... I think it might be that load line calibration stuff they added. will have to test when i finish prime.

Last edited:
any software that shows you voltage or temps are not accurate, even bios isn't, but bios is more accurate than software so yeah, bios is what you should be looking at
i got mine to 1.37500 in bios, cpu-z shows 1.344

The BIOS doesn't take vdroop or vdrop into account. This looks like vdroop/vdrop to me and Load Line Calibration will significantly reduce or eliminate it. You do have some headroom based on your CPUz vcore. Enabling LLC will bring the CPUz vcore closer to the BIOS vcore.

Last edited:
yes i finished my 1hr quick stress on prime95 with out problems @ 4.5.

went into bios and changed that load line stuff to 100% and it evened out my Vdroop to = bios vcore.

I just did a full 30m run @ 4.7ghz @ 1.38vcore and it seems pretty stable so im just gonna game some like this and then let it crunch prime all night and see whats up in the morning.

thanks for the input.

im sitting @ about 70*C max load in a fairly warm room this side of the house faces the sun and my SLI cards warm it up quickly in here. so its going to be somewhat warmer on CPU in here.

but i guess 4.7ghz is nothing to sneeze at so far.

I can prob do alot more if i surpass the 1.4 vcore slightly but i will use it at 4.7 for awhile and see if i have any issues over the next few days before i move forward if i decide too that is i might just hang up at 1.38v.

not sure how far i could push this cpu really.

i don't see why you need more than 4.7 in gaming, unless you render etc..
the power is overwhelming at 4.7 :D

yea thats what i was thinking aswell.

going to this from my ***** 790i ultra is like 1billion times easier to oc for one and much quicker to establish a stable over clock. no screwing with the FSB is so nice for 1 no screwing with a Nvidacrap :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: set is pure Win tho.

heh btw im running this on a A50 Corsair in my opinion my Zalman CNPS9700 from my 775 system would be prob a better solution if i had the mounting bracket. but what ever.

the case has some hard core cooling in it . sadly it sounds like a vacume.

chances are it probably doesn't need a mounting bracket, else they would have included :p
if you still want a bracket im not sure but i think you may be able to find a compatible one online :)
btw what vcore are you using and what mch for the Q6600?

chances are it probably doesn't need a mounting bracket, else they would have included :p
if you still want a bracket im not sure but i think you may be able to find a compatible one online :)
btw what vcore are you using and what mch for the Q6600?

I bought the heatsink before Core I7s were thought of they still make it and it comes with the brackets now.

vcore right now is 1.36-1.37v on this 2500k.

can't quite remember what im @ on the Q6600 @ 3.6ghz tbh. but could never go much higher than 3.6 as it would hit a FSB wall and the system would fully destabilize in SLI on me regardless of extra voltage my 790i was always so finicky.

I bought the heatsink before Core I7s were thought of they still make it and it comes with the brackets now.

I'd contact them from there web site. I had the same issue when I used my 9500 on my friends AM2 setup I built for him and they mailed me a whole new set of brackets (all of them not just the one's I requested) free of charge.

vcore right now is 1.36-1.37v on this 2500k.

can't quite remember what im @ on the Q6600 @ 3.6ghz tbh. but could never go much higher than 3.6 as it would hit a FSB wall and the system would fully destabilize in SLI on me regardless of extra voltage my 790i was always so finicky.

hmm, i just saw another guy in another post who has his Q6600 at 4Ghz :drool:

any software that shows you voltage or temps are not accurate, even bios isn't, but bios is more accurate than software so yeah, bios is what you should be looking at
i got mine to 1.37500 in bios, cpu-z shows 1.344

BIOS voltage setting is just a label. Some BIOS' don't even list an absolute value, but instead list it as + or - from stock.

CPU-Z is more accurate for reading the actual voltage. I always go by what CPU-Z says under load, and adjust the BIOS voltage as needed to get where I need to be.

LLC makes it easier to avoid confusion.

A multimeter is best, but CPU-Z is close enough. The BIOS voltage setting can vary widely compared to actual applied vcore depending on LLC setting, power draw of CPU, beefiness of VRM system, and how far you are pushing the speed.

hmm, i just saw another guy in another post who has his Q6600 at 4Ghz :drool:

Is that 24/7 stable? Somehow I doubt it. If it is, that's definitley a golden chip. I went through quite a few Q6600's trying to find one that would just bench at that speed.

yeah multimeter is the best, though i don't know how to check the vcore on the board manually, hmm i have no idea, i just saw it in the signature, im not 100% confident of my Q6600, but im pretty sure i can hit mine to 4Ghz with the proper vcore,cooling and maybe chipset because overclocking mine to 3.44 was a piece of cake! even though it was my first time, it just was super easy overclocking mine, i didn't have to change many settings :rock:

edit: if you google Q6600 ln2, you can see a Q6600 hit 5Ghz ++++

Yeah, I mean on good air and 24/7. Benching is awesome, but you have to realize that some people put 24/7 stable speeds in their sig, and others put bench speeds or just barely-boot-screenshot speeds. Big difference! If someone looking didn't know better they would be chasing an unobtainable goal.

Some higher-end boards have read points for multimeters that are clearly labeled and everything. If not, you have to do a little research to figure it out, but you gotta be careful so that you don't bridge any solder points and kill the board or catch something on fire! CPU-Z is close enough (except in some rare circumstances where it is obviously very wrong) that it really is the best all around choice for reading vcore. It also acts as a baseline for comparing vcores across different systems.

jason is right my Q6600@ 3.6 was 24/7 on air.

I could do Futuremark vantage benches and even pass prime for 1-2 hrs @ 3.8-3.9ghz on it but eventually it would lockup or id get a blue screen and the amount of Volts i was pushing my vcore was pretty high and the processor would get pretty darn hot.

so i gave up pushing it so hard found it did 3.6 much easier than any oc above that and kept it there.

and most of my limitation was my 790i chipset im fairly certain of it.

I could have that board 100% stable but only on like 1 of 4 sets of DDR3 i had. and i could never run the ram higher than 1644 EVER even when i had the OCZ 2000mhz SLI ram it would crash above 1644 when OC'ed it was a chip set limitation.

I could also never run 4 sticks.

or a soundcard Xonar Or Xfi gamer or it would crash randomly not even every day but it would lock up sometimes just doing nothing.

that board gave me alot of headaches.

Last edited:
hahaha, never buying an nvidia chipset!
my 3.44 was stable for 12:30 hours with prime 95, didn't bother to test longer,i didn't get any errors so i stopped it, i don't see the point of doing 24/7 stress, no hardcore gamer plays a game 7 days of the week and 24 hours a day,
unless you're WoW addict :facepalm:

besides games don't even use 100% of your processor, prime 95 does:chair:

Yeah, I mean on good air and 24/7. Benching is awesome, but you have to realize that some people put 24/7 stable speeds in their sig, and others put bench speeds or just barely-boot-screenshot speeds. Big difference! If someone looking didn't know better they would be chasing an unobtainable goal.

Some higher-end boards have read points for multimeters that are clearly labeled and everything. If not, you have to do a little research to figure it out, but you gotta be careful so that you don't bridge any solder points and kill the board or catch something on fire! CPU-Z is close enough (except in some rare circumstances where it is obviously very wrong) that it really is the best all around choice for reading vcore. It also acts as a baseline for comparing vcores across different systems.

ok now im scared, not going to use a multimeter to read vcore, ever!
my multimeter doesn't read with a point anyway, just reads 1 volts or 2 volts lol

well 24/7 means its a persons gaming rig that they setup and never change and never expect to crash from the OC over extended periods of time.

I will still be using my Q6600 for a work pc though just in a more deminished sate.
no sli - no expansion sound card. and with those 2 things removed that pc will never lockup.

Back