• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing & Maximum Frustration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I have a home network (hardwired and wireless) using all Windows 7 machines. On each machine the C: drive is set to allow sharing and permission is granted to all. There are only two users in my home, my wife and I, so I do not want any restrictions with respect to accessing any computer from any other computer in my home. I have both a hardware firewall (router) and a software firewall (Eset) so I am not that concerned with an intrusion from the outside.

What exactly do I need to do to remove every single one of the dialogs with respect to homegroups, passwords, usernames, and all the other very annoying crap that is unneeded and certainly unwanted? I obviously still want to prevent any access from the internet.

I tried to transfer some pictures from my computer to my wife's computer tonight and just could not get access to it. Although I can see my wife's computer, W7 insists on entering a username and password. I did set the password to be the same on both computers but I still receive a "log on failure" due to unknown user name or bad password. I am using the account name so I do not have a clue how to satisfy the damn thing. At this point I just want to eliminate every single restriction within my household where security is of zero concern.

Use My Pictures and similar folders appropriately, and share them. Or, set up the "Libraries" and share them instead. Sharing the root of the drive is silly when the only folder you should be putting shareable stuff in is C:\Users\YourName. Windows is simply refusing to be ludicrously silly by allowing full access over a network to the system root.

Use My Pictures and similar folders appropriately, and share them. Or, set up the "Libraries" and share them instead. Sharing the root of the drive is silly when the only folder you should be putting shareable stuff in is C:\Users\YourName. Windows is simply refusing to be ludicrously silly by allowing full access over a network to the system root.

I would agree if there was a security concern but within my household there is none. I can see no reason why I should not be able to have full access to everything on all my computers from anywhere in the network. For example, if my wife has a file on her machine, I should be able to retrieve it from from my machine without having to go to her machine first and transfer it to a public directory. It is a convenience thing and I it is very annoying for Windows to make unnecessary security decisions for me. I am sure there is some way to get control of this, I just do not know how.

Share whatever folder/directory you want. I would put them in a HomeGroup together anyways then go to:

Start
Manage advanced sharing settings
Turn off password protected sharing

Less secure, but as you said, you weren't worried about that on your home network.

Back