• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Heatsink Install Issues: Nut spinning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustAnotherUser

Hello. Wondering if anyone has any ideas for an issue I am having, which is filling me with great rage. I am trying to install a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B on my 1155 Processor. Everything is installed and I am on the last step of attaching the back plate to the heatsink. A screw on the bottom of the back plate is being screwed into a "fixing cup" on the heaksink assembly (which is on the top of the motherboard). The issue is that the fixing cup is spinning and will not fully tighten. The fixing cup is attached to the heatsink with a nut ("Fixing cup for screw"). First two screws were doing this. I uninstalled the heatsink, cleaned the cpu, and tightened all the nuts with a needle noose pliers as much as I could. I then re-applied the heatsink and thermal paste.

One screw is still spinning. I have tried applying pressure with my hand on the other side and also tried taping the screw to keep it in place but nothing works. The two sides closer to the edge of the motherboard are blocked by heatsinks, as I was considering using needle nose pliers on the backplate/screw to clamp it, although it probably too far in distance and could cause damage. Spacing is extremely tight in that area.

If I confused you, here a breakdown of the cooler, from the manual ftp://ftp.scythe-eu.com/Manuals/CPU-Cooler/Mugen-2-Rev_B.pdf

Any one have any ideas on how to solve this?

Last edited:
Having dealt with such problems with near "blind" screws and nuts for years...I took to using super glue gel to affix the part that was to be tightened/screwed into so it would not turn. Of course I could not get the gel on anything that was to tighten later.

Back