• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware M14x or Custom Gaming Computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sTrYk3r62796

Hello all, I am wondering which to purchase. A $1100 ALienware M14x with GT 555m and 4gb RAM and intel core i5, or a gaming computer with i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 570 SC 8GB RAM, and all other needed stuff for about $1300. I am really trying to find a good gaming laptop under $1000 or something but I have had no luck. It is just that $1300 sounds too much.
Suggestions?

Custom gaming computer, u can get alot more for your money if u do it yourself. If u don't feel like building one urself then i can always do it for u, I'll only charge labor. 0.o
but definatly don't buy alienware .... Stuff

Honestly, if you're heading off to college or some other setting where a laptop would be useful, definitely get one, because a laptop is indispensable for some applications. But if you're a serious gamer and love good graphics and lots of power, don't even try to find that in a laptop. Nothing beats a dedicated desktop for price or performance when it comes to gaming and multimedia; that desktop build, will, of course, be about a dozen times better for gaming than the M14x. Personally, I'm buying a cheap (but attractive) productivity laptop and then building a new mATX desktop for college. You make a lot of compromises trying to replace your desktop with a laptop, and it's never worth it.

You don't need to spend that much to get a powerful gaming rig. I'd recommend buying core components used; you can get i7 960's and high-end X58's for $300-320 in combos these days. You could probably build such a desktop with a 6950 (unlocked to 6970) for $850.

My thoughts pretty much, I was thinking to get a desktop, then get a nice cheap little laptop good enough to run small games.

My thoughts pretty much, I was thinking to get a desktop, then get a nice cheap little laptop good enough to run small games.

You can easily register yourself as a student on Lenovo's site and get a 14" V470 with Sandy Bridge for $535 right now. I think they're pretty slick, and Lenovo's keyboards are excellent. If you like netbooks, E-350 is where it's at, but of course all affordable netbooks are terribly slow. (I'm kind of thinking out loud here.)

Good plan.

Yes they are like tanks, so it isn't really ideal for a student to carry it around campus or use one in class. I'd go with a small laptop for notes and portability as well as a desktop pc for gaming if you need to game.

dude you dont HAVE to have a laptop for college, paper is fine..

spend your money on a custom desktop..you will be happier

Back