• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to run Prime95 while I'm at work but I'm scared....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oh u mad

Registered
I'm scared my i5 2500k might be running at like 90c for like 8 hours straight and somehow lower the life/damage it.... is there a setting somewhere where I can force prime95 to stop if the temp is too high?

I was running Prime95 last night and noticed that the GPU temps never rose beyond its idle temp... I was running blend test, isn't that supposed to stress the GPU + RAM also?

I'm scared my i5 2500k might be running at like 90c for like 8 hours straight and somehow lower the life/damage it.... is there a setting somewhere where I can force prime95 to stop if the temp is too high?

I was running Prime95 last night and noticed that the GPU temps never rose beyond its idle temp... I was running blend test, isn't that supposed to stress the GPU + RAM also?

Depending on your motherboard, your BIOS will have a "Shutdown" CPU temp. Not sure what the safety temp is for the 2600, perhaps 75-80C?

Let one of the others stop by here and reinforce 2600 temps. Meanwhile, check you BIOS for a temp shutdown. Might be a good idea to list your hardware or motherboard too.

Prime doesn't check GPU's, just CPU and RAMs.

+1 to RT...

Check in your motherboard for temperature thresholds and set it at 80C. OR since you are on air, you can simply run it for a while before you leave. The temperatures will level out on air quickly (like 15-30 minutes). Then the only temperature differences will be when your ambient changes.

Right, Prime 95 is for CPU ONLY. If you want to test your GPU, loop a benchmark like 3DMark 11.

Depending on your motherboard, your BIOS will have a "Shutdown" CPU temp. Not sure what the safety temp is for the 2600, perhaps 75-80C?

Let one of the others stop by here and reinforce 2600 temps. Meanwhile, check you BIOS for a temp shutdown. Might be a good idea to list your hardware or motherboard too.

Prime doesn't check GPU's, just CPU and RAMs.

ahh, okay. my other hardware is the 8gb g-skill 1333 ram + ASROCK extreme 4 MB + GTX 570 SC. I'll take a look at the BIOS settings when I get home, thanks!

+1 to RT...

Check in your motherboard for temperature thresholds and set it at 80C. OR since you are on air, you can simply run it for a while before you leave. The temperatures will level out on air quickly (like 15-30 minutes). Then the only temperature differences will be when your ambient changes.

Right, Prime 95 is for CPU ONLY. If you want to test your GPU, loop a benchmark like 3DMark 11.

ED,

Thank you for the 2600 temps, I just wasn't sure. :thup:

+1 to RT...

thanks man, will the threshhold limit just throttle the CPU speed down or actually shut off the processor? I currently have the free version of 3dmark11, i'll just keep looping the "benchmark only" option.... I don't remember seeing a "loop" option, but i'll take another look when I get home, thanks.

If your motherboard doesn't have that option, Coretemp is a program that has an overheat protection feature. You can set it at whatever temperature you want and tell it to shut down the computer if a core reaches specified temperature.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Take your case to work. I've done that many times. If someone asks, tell them it's a backup server :)

Don't leave it alone.

Back