• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soldering wires off of pci outputs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hackintosh

I was wondering if I could take my psu apart, and take off the pci connectors, and solder wires directly to the wires that run to the female adapter on the psu?

I really really dont like the look of wires in my case so I am trying to run the wires for the pci cables out of the back of the psu where I have my atx and other power cables running.
Here is my old thread showing what I did http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659238&page=3

I am guessing that I wont be able to do this though because of the circuit board they are mounted to. So if that is the case, could I still remove the plastic and solder the wires to the front of the board then?

maybe it is just me but i can't visualize what you are talking about. i am not sure what you mean by 'pci connectors' coming from your psu. do you mean molex power connectors?

yes, sorry I have been sick for 4 days and running on about 2 hours of sleep a night lol I meant molex. I was looking right at them and saying pci because of the adaptor on the psu the 6 pin pci plugs on the psu that you power all of your molex off of.

I would like to not have to plug any molex, or sata cables into them, and just solder the wires direction to the inside of the psu and run them out of the back

If your asking I would recommend not to. Those caps in there hold a charge for some time and could give you a hefty jolt.

But yes, you could technically solder wires straight from the motherboard, ect straight to the PSU.

Ahm, if I get this right, he wants to turn a modular connection into a static/soldered connection.
Is that right?
If so, it should be no problem at all, as long as you keep the cable diameter, use the appropriate solder pads (or the existing short wires) and make sure that your solder joints are really good (=clean, shiny i.e. no cold joint).

If I misunderstood what you are trying to do, I think you should maybe try to add a explanatory pic.

correct.
I am planning to just take the modular cables, cut off the ends, then open up the psu and solder the wires directly to the psu so that I can route them out of the side of the psu so that there are no wires showing inside my case!

OOPs, never mind, i see you already pulled it off.

what a pain.
one tip, if your going inside the PSU to resolder the wires there, your going to need a good soldering gun, a crappy weller gun, or a pencil isnt going to cut it.
with all the wires comming off and the PCB itself transferring heat away, and the new no lead solder, it is going to be a war to get flow. then there will be piles of them you have to hold in each location.
can certannly be done, but you need the right equiptment first, and mabey a 3rd hand.

sure you can sub paste with a half melt in there, but that isnt long term or safe, to be done right you would want to re-flow the wad, so it is locked in.
if your going to connect to the back of a modular, why not just get a connection Kit, or connection for either end, they sell almost every connector now on ebay even. cut the wire, strip it put the crimps on and shove them in the plastic
or the "self stripping" type of connectors (that i hate) can be reset in another posisition on a wire.

i was going for the whole 24pin remake.
when i did not have a solder gun that could undo all that mess, in the psu, i just hacked 6" out of each wire individually, put heat shrink over, soldered them back, and heat shrinked it.
then of course it could be sleeved, but i dont worrry about that. it was a inline shortening.

Last edited:
Back