• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bridge CUTTING dangerous?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hulio1

Registered
i want to know if cutting the bridges with an exacto knife has to go very deep at all, or just scracth the surface (huge important!)

i didnt get the multi i wanted and went and cut deeper...]
also redid the bridges that neede to be closed, and got the 1600mhx on 1700+

then repainted to 1650 and got no change in sandra or POST screen. (FID ignores .5 multis say other posts here)

so im scared to go and cut the last bridge to go to 1700.

i was thinking the copper might flare out to the side and touch to the contact points...

this would never be undoable, and mabe my cpu is already locked at 1600 from the mistake!!!

i am very surprised how no one talks about the CUTTING part of the cpu mods.

why would u need to cut a bridge????
u just connect the L1's. if u f* up than rub the paint off with some rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth.

i have a asus a7v rev 1.02 (100 mhz FSB, a7v 1.02 will not do even 103 fsb) and multi only goes to 12.5x on board.
therefore i need a 17x multi that my mobo dont support, so i have to manually repaint the chip with other bridges as per:
http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html
all you newer peopl;e or people with money to repalce mobo, ram and cpu (to no real advantage!) dont know about these old boards that run an xp just fine without sopending but $210 canadian (140 us) and cannot use the FSB to OC!!
by the way, i am the first person ever to get the a7v 1.02 boards doing an xp cpu other than just UNDERCLOCKED!! damn..

Last edited:
umm i'm not positive but i think that u could try the 6x setting for 17x i thought i heard something about the 6x being rerouted on xps to 17x so u could give that a try :)

so mabe if i dont mess with the other bridges and just close the l1s (no more cutting involved) then i might could get another multi still, and if not and i am stuck with lower multi i just wipe off the l1 closing and back to square one, i'll try it!

post bridge CUTTING experiences please!

still really want to know any comments about cutting the bridges. cutting is done for manualk overclocking, and it is the only risky and undoable part, so please post your experiences on CUTTING these bridges:eh?:

Hulio: You might be able to FSB overclock, even if the bios doesn't support it. Try downloading CPUFSB. You'll need to look for a little chip on the motherboard to do it, though.

my mobo supports fsb overclock to 133, but it actually won't run above 103.
today i tried closing the l1 bridges and after four attempts i gave up. i cant, even after carefully closing them with tape masking and silver correction pen.

mabe theyure closed and its just a ground out somewhere else locking the chip at 1600 (16x 100 fsb). i only get 1600. i repainted to 16.5 and still got 1600.

DaMN

now im scared to wipe off the 2 closed l3 bridges , cut the top l4 and try to close the forst 2 l3s to get 1700 because this thing has proven it wants rediculous god contact to those microscopic bridges.
i have worse luck than anyone in the world short of burning the processor.
any suggestions would be welcome. this thing proves inmpossible to do!

the reason no one is posting there experiances cutting the bridges is because no one does! like u said, its riskey, but it is undoable if u just paint the bridge back over

oh well, i guess ill post at ocinside.de even though its german. they have an english section
people certainly do cut the bridges! anyone who wantys support for cpus on older boards!

Back