• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU overheat help needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MatiMata

Registered
Hello forum!
I've built my own pc a few months ago and lately I've noticed my CPU is running hotter then recommended (recommended max ix 62c and my CPU is in the 70c's)

I've cleaned the whole pc, I've bought an aftermarket cooler (AC freezer 7 rev2) which didnt help much as you see, My hardware is pretty cool the only thing doing problem is my cpu.
i've tried changing my thermal paste and adding a new one (not too much or less) -Arctic Silver 5-.
Also I've noticed that my only 2 case fans barely do any air and that sucks...

the airflow isnt bad, air gets in the case one way and goes from the other side...

my CPU is: AMD PHENOM II X4 955 @3.2GHz BE with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 rev 2 which works on 2000RPM MAX (should be 2500 but wth)

I did some research and saw some pc with the same specs as mine just other pc case and with more fans and I saw much better temperature.

Could it be my case? I got a generic case from Mustiff I dont know the name.
What should I do to get my cooler to work better or to make my cpu run cooler.

P.S

Because the CPU was running on Prime 95 above 75C I had to lower the Voltage from 1.4V to 1.325V and now it runs on 67C which is still too damn hot.

Thank you in advance,

Matt

i know for intel i7 that 70c is normal for max, dont know for amd sorry

The first thing I would check is the cooler installation. Is it seated on the cpu properly? How much thermal grease did you use?

Also what are you using to check your temps? I use HW Monitor.
Do you have the fans controlled in the bios?
Go to the user cp on top of the page and fashion a signature stating all your components so we can look @ it.

:welcome: to the forums

70°C is way too high for a 955 at stock.

As Hi-Yield say, unmount and remount your heatsink, putting just a little dot of TIM in the middle of the CPU.

Do your temperatures drop significantly with the side of the case off? If so it may be an air flow problem, if not what if you put a box fan blowing into the case towards the CPU?

Ok I've added my signature I dont know if you see it...

And lets say when I blow air into the side of the pc the temperature drops what does that means? I need a better airflow?

OK, I have done that already and the temp was the same. even worse because when I closed the case CPU temp decreased by 2c

Last edited:
Most likely yes, do you have air pulling in through the front and exhausting through the back?

Yes, you should add at least 2x12 cm fans: one one the side blowing into the case and one on the top extracting the air.

you say you had to drop the voltage from 1.4, 1.4 is not stock voltage though 1.35 is what those normally run, so I would check your cpu-nb voltage as well.

cpu-nb should be 1.18 at stock voltage but some boards set it way higher and it adds heat as well.

What is the CPU-NB in HWMonitor?

If its VIN1 then its on 1.84V - is that alright?

I tried to change and renew the Thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) and my temperatures now are higher o_O is that because the paste is new and it needs to settle and dry? I took some pics so you can see how I did it.

http://imageshack.us/g/541/dsc00541qu.jpg/ - this is the thermal paste on the cpu

and this is the thermal paste on the cooler

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I didnt put paste on them both I put a bit in the middle of the cpu and then I spread it allover and put the cooler on it

What is the CPU-NB in HWMonitor?

If its VIN1 then its on 1.84V - is that alright?

I don't even know if HWM shows the cpu-nb voltage, but it should be in your bios under cpu-nb.
as for the thermal paste, it looks a bit much, and it does take a few days to cure.

Dude, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 was developed for far less powerful single cored socket 754 and 939 rigs quite a few years ago. Upgrade to something of the same vintage as your CPU at least.

Look at something like a Coolermaster 212 Plus or a Xigmatek S1283 heatsink. Either of those are nice and inexpensive and offer a good level of cooling for the price.

EDIT: Looks like you used plenty of thermal paste on that too. Remember, less is more when it comes to cooling. Too thick a layer and you're simply obstructing the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink. On the other hand, I still recommend replacing that heatsink with something better.

Ok, I've seen a few coolers, which one is the best?
CoolerMaster Hyper Z600
CoolerMaster Hyper N520
CoolerMaster Hyper 212
Scythe Kabuto
Scythe Mugen II Rev.b 5

Also I've seen a few Cases for my pc, which one is the best?
CoolerMaster CM690 II Basic
CoolerMaster Storm Scout ‎

Last edited:
I'd get the 212 of those. Alot of people have them & they seem to work well.

Better check your case dimensions to make sure it will fit.

Ok, I've seen a few coolers, which one is the best?
CoolerMaster Hyper Z600
CoolerMaster Hyper N520
CoolerMaster Hyper 212
Scythe Kabuto
Scythe Mugen II Rev.b 5

Also I've seen a few Cases for my pc, which one is the best?
CoolerMaster CM690 II Basic
CoolerMaster Storm Scout ‎

I'd personally recommend either the Hyper N520 or the Hyper 212.

Those are the ones I'm looking at for my own Phenom II.

is there a difference between them? should I take the cheaper of the two?

Back