• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extra SSD won't run games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PN50B860

Hey guys. I'm upgrading my computer (1st build) and part of it is to install an extra SSD (Corsair F90) to save/run my games. My boot drive is an Intel SSD.

I installed the SSD, formatted it as an exFAT file system, and installed Steam and Fallout New Vegas without any problems. Everything seemed fine but when I try to play a game, it shuts down as soon as it seems to get done loading. Windows tells me "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..will notify you if a solution is available." I read somewhere that Steam has problems with exFAT file systems, so I did a quick format (I know this isn't the proper way to do it, but I'm bored and wanted to get the problem fixed asap) to NTFS. BUT, I'm still getting the same error message. Am I missing something simple? Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forums.

Quick format is ideal since really if you want to do a format on a SSD its a secure one from within the bios that I know of. Is the system OC'ed at all? Have you tried to re-download the game see if it was a corrupt file.

when I try to play a game, it shuts down as soon as it seems to get done loading. Windows tells me "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..will notify you if a solution is available."

Sounds more like a driver issue, more like a corrupted graphics driver config.

deathman20, thank you for the welcome!

I did not know that about using quick format, but it makes me feel better about doing it. The system is overclocked (albeit modestly): Q9550 at 3.2Ghz.

I did try to re-download the game, but to no avail. I read somewhere that some games can only work through the C drive. Could this be the case with Fallout games? Also, I read somewhere about a file in the AppData folder of the computer profile. Could the game, in the B drive, be trying to read this in the C drive, and loose communication somewhere?

Maybe the question I should be asking is "What is the correct way to uninstall the game?" Is it more in-depth than going to "uninstall programs" in windows, or using the uninstall feature on the disk? I did try to move the "FalloutNV" folder from the C:\Users\Name\Documents\My Games location, where the game was originally installed, into the B drive, not based on any knowledge of course. Could this be a candidate?

RJARRRPCGP, I don't think it is a driver issue, because it was playing fine before the attempted move, and I can still play Witcher 2 on the original drive without any problems. Thoughts?

Hmmm.

A registry setting might be causing that then since its trying to look for it in said folder. As for only the C drive... I think I've had 1 game like this it needed to be installed in a certain directory (the base) for it to work, which after learning more about things dealing with deployment of software it could very well be a registry issue.

Seems odd that a big company like that would have that type of an issue if its that.

Given that for many many moons the A & B drives were reserved for 'floppies' that might be the issue. Maybe try switching the SSD in question to something other than A or B, like F or whatever is open on your drives after C, and give that a try.

Well, I tried switching the SSD to something besides B, but it's still doing the same thing. But it was a good idea bluegreen997.

deathman20, if it is a registry setting, do you know how to solve it?

Also, when I uninstall the game using Windows, is there any chance that the corrupting file could remain, to bog the re-install?

Registry setting I would have no clue where to look. Its game dependent so it could be in 1 spot or multiple. Typically the easiest way to find it is search for the name, and secondly would be searching for the company that made it. If all fails search for the install directory, that should get you to the spots in the registry where you'll see it and possibly modify as needed.

Though playing with the registry shouldn't be taken lightly. It can really mess up the system if you do something wrong. There really isn't an undo button in there so changes are permanent and instant.

Back