• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers saturated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

5-6am est 2-3am pst server impossible. Yesrterday it was almost as bad and it was a school holiday.

Distributed computing is a great idea if the sponser is willing to provide adequate resources otherwise its just a boondoggle.

Harvey Allen

I hear ya'!

I've got 7 completed wu's to return, and since yeserday evening all I've received from Berkeley is a "No such file or directory Can't connect to server...". You would think if they were serious about their endeavor, they would want the results back ASAP.

Greg- Academics think the world is full of grad students willing or coerced into working for nothing.

Faced with overwhelming success SETI's response is drop users to fit finite resources instead of accepting the challenge and stepping up the pace.

It's been great fun while it lasted but now the amount of crunching exceeds the amount of bandwith available to maintain it. There will still be pockets of availability on the weekends but soon that will disappear too.

A boycott would send a message but that's an impossible task so SETI will muddle through and it's originators will collect their accolades and academic perks for doing a half way job.

JMHO

Harvey

.......On the other hand, it's a worthwhile project IMHO, and all the griping about bandwidth won't help the project at all.

I'm sure Berkeley knows of the problems, and are (hopefully!) working on a solution.

Crunch on, my fellow Overclockers, and keep the faith!

Well lets hope so (the fix) I would really hate to see the limitation be somthing like bandwidth..... my .02 Jim
:burn:

What they need is someone to shell out 20-40 grand for them to get thier own DEDICATED SETI ONLY SERVER.. I'm sure they have millionaires crunching wus same as us.. and why one of them havent donated money to help the situation i kinda find quite odd... Hey it would be a huge tax write off.. kinda sad no one would do this.. It would help this project tremendously..
Till then we get to share a Cra# server with 60,000 students and teachers hooray for us, lol!!

Keep'em Crunchin!!

Not having any problems whatsoever here except during the day. All of my units upload and cache refills over night. Now I don't sit up all night to see what time that is, but it works at some point.

I haven't had no problems.....In my opinion the only owns with some trouble in getting they results uploaded are the ones using a dial-up connection. When the bandwidth problem began, I was having problems with my modem, so I just zipped all my results and uploaded them at work, where I have a permanet connection the the Internet.

If you have a permanet connection to the 'Net, just leave the autoconnect option and sooner or later you'll upload your results. But, if you are on a dial-up, just wait for the night and weekends to upload your results.

I have a broadband DLS and in the past 24 hours I've only
been able to get 5 WUs. I'm kinda getting worried. I might
hit one of the private caches setup by our team members.

In which case, I hope you guys stock up more then 350 WUs,
cause I burn through about 25-30 a day now!

TC said:
but it works at some point.

Installed SETIQueue. I'll see how it runs tonight.

I got one ping into Berkeley. Making progress.

[edit: Two completed wu's uploaded. Much progress.]

Does SETIQueue autodial on a dial-up connection?
Can't find any reference yet.

Harvey

Last edited:
This is getting crazy, I tried to upload at 3am and it wouldn't go. I have WU's cached on all of my machines and I want to get them in. I hope they fix there bandwith issues soon.

Hehehehe I got one in today (thats 20% of my daily output!) btu without my auto dialup working, I am going to be screwed, I go to the field next week till april! :eek: Jim :burn:

PS Woohoo! spoke too soon sending another thats 40% of todays.... LOL

I have hit a snag in upload too...

I have about 14 units that haven't uploaded... not even overnight with SETI Driver trying every hour.... :confused:

has been working fine until last night, or the night before...

Am still OK as I run a cache of 50 on each machine, but sheesh... Shep looks like he's really getting ahead of me...

Morpheus said:
I have hit a snag in upload too...

I have about 14 units that haven't uploaded... not even overnight with SETI Driver trying every hour.... :confused:

has been working fine until last night, or the night before...

Am still OK as I run a cache of 50 on each machine, but sheesh... Shep looks like he's really getting ahead of me...

same here.......have more than a dozen WUs waiting to upload and filled. it all started from yesterday.....

good thing is after last surge, i've up all my rigs' cache for a whole week. so, i still have 5 more days to go.....(crossing my fingers....)

I tried all weekend to upload WU's....I tried at 6 am Saturday morning but nothing would go through.

Yes, I'm crazy for being up that early on a weekend, but that's just how dedicated I am! :)

hallen said:
Greg- Academics think the world is full of grad students willing or coerced into working for nothing.

Faced with overwhelming success SETI's response is drop users to fit finite resources instead of accepting the challenge and stepping up the pace.

It's been great fun while it lasted but now the amount of crunching exceeds the amount of bandwith available to maintain it. There will still be pockets of availability on the weekends but soon that will disappear too.

A boycott would send a message but that's an impossible task so SETI will muddle through and it's originators will collect their accolades and academic perks for doing a half way job.

JMHO

Harvey

I think you've hit it right on the head.

pcgirl said:
I tried all weekend to upload WU's....I tried at 6 am Saturday morning but nothing would go through.

Yes, I'm crazy for being up that early on a weekend, but that's just how dedicated I am! :)

WOW! yes u are very dedicated!! 6am in the morning, weekend? i could never do that.....:p

LandShark said:

WOW! yes u are very dedicated!! 6am in the morning, weekend? i could never do that.....:p

LOL yeah, I'm a bit crazy. :D

Of course, I went back to sleep after I found out that I wasn't able to send any of my WU's to Berkeley!

that's why i "choose" the alternative way instead of wake up 5-6am in the morning......

hang out w/ friends till 4-5am in the weekend, got back home, and check to see if all my cache is cleared, then go to bed......:D

Back