• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumping to SSD. What to go for

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badbonji

Hi,
One of my raptors finally failed (going strong in raid 0 for a long, long time) so I decided that I will buy an SSD for my OS and applications/games. I am thinking of getting 240GB, but not entirely sure which one.

I currently have an X58 board - no sata 3 for me. But I will be uprading eventually (LGA 2011 most likely). So would the Vertex 3 be the best choice? Or the M4 or an intel drive? I take it single is still better than raid due to TRIM and such - last time I checked this wasn't supported in raid.

I have an upper limit of around £400. What should I go for?

Thanks,
Badbonji

I found the M4 for around £330 and Vertex 3 for £390 ish. Is the extra speed worth it? (I know I won't get the full benefit until I get sata 3)

Intel 510 250GB

I had it since april 2nd and no issues at all

If you Google all other new SSD's you will notice that one of them had 0 issues with firmware, drivers...etc - and thats the Intel 510 series. All other new SSD's (released in 2011) had issues with firmware, drivers (RST), lots of BSOD's, freezes, stuttering, low performance... all kind of issues.

For now best is to take something on Marvell chip as all Sandforce SATA3 models have stability problems. In this case I would take M4 ( I wish I had £400 for SSD :p ). Can order directly from Crucial online shop http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmodule/SSD/~262144~/list.html
Or just wait for Corsair Force 3 ... when will be fully stable firmware or something that will solve freeze issues ( the same for Vertex 3, Agility 3 etc ).

I ended up going with the M4, should be here tomorrow!

I found a slightly cheaper place to buy it from, considering it is part of my student loan I am spending (I have enough spare to survive at least). I wish I had enough for two i7 rigs! Your electricity must cost quite a bit folding also, my house mates wouldn't appreciate a hefty bill either :p

Thanks for all of your help!

Intel 510 250GB

I had it since april 2nd and no issues at all

If you Google all other new SSD's you will notice that one of them had 0 issues with firmware, drivers...etc - and thats the Intel 510 series. All other new SSD's (released in 2011) had issues with firmware, drivers (RST), lots of BSOD's, freezes, stuttering, low performance... all kind of issues.

I do not agree at all: I have a Corsair f90 on my amd rig and a vertex 3 120GB on my intel rig and I never had any issue with them!

EDIT: and compared to OCZ Vertex 3, they are slow!
http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-510-ssd-review/14

Last edited:
I do not agree at all: I have a Corsair f90 on my amd rig and a vertex 3 120GB on my intel rig and I never had any issue with them!

EDIT: and compared to OCZ Vertex 3, they are slow!
http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-510-ssd-review/14

Go with the Vertex 3!

I have a pair of Vertex 1's in RAID0 and I love them. Highly dependable and pretty quick. My Vertex 1's load me in faster than 99% of other gamers...

I ended up going with the M4, should be here tomorrow!

I found a slightly cheaper place to buy it from, considering it is part of my student loan I am spending (I have enough spare to survive at least). I wish I had enough for two i7 rigs! Your electricity must cost quite a bit folding also, my house mates wouldn't appreciate a hefty bill either :p

Thanks for all of your help!

Thats good. Be sure and post your thoughts on the M4 and a few screenshots wouldn't hurt. I am going to be ordering another once the Agility III that I RMA'ed gets credited back to my account and still have not deciced which to get.

I have a pair of 64GB M4s on the way. Intend to test them on IAStor, Marvell 9128(I know I know...), Adaptec's 3085, and maybe even a Perc 5i if I find the ambition to swap RAID cards. I have a collection of SSD benchies to compare them to.

Back