• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

27" or tri-setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funguygordy

I have recently decided to upgrade my monitor, as it has immense issues with tearing. I have a few different options:
$300 (max of around $500 if i wait) on a 27" 1080p minimum
$300 (max of around $500 if i wait) on three smaller monitors, also 1080p minimum

I will be playing FPS games, photoshop/dreamweaver, and watching movies most of the time. I am looking for particular models. I will also be adding another 560ti in the future.

That is what I was thinking. I often have a browser, music, photoshop, and dreamweaver running. What models would you guys suggest? Would three 24" be overkill? Also, how big of a difference if they are LED?

for tri/double monitor setups can you run a full screen game on one screen, then run anything else on the other?

Well, I currently have two monitors (they both suck, but works for multitasking), and you can either have them show the same thing or have one be an extension of the desktop. With three I assume it is the same. I think Nvidia Surround is used for gaming on a tri-setup.

If you do end up going down the triple display route, I'd suggest getting ones with a 16:10 display ratio (assuming you'll be spending most of your time with the displays in landscape orientation). Sure, you'll be getting black bars when watching movies on them, but you'll probably find that extra height useful in Photoshop and Dreamweaver when working with big enough documents (I certainly do).

Having said that, $500 might not be enough to go down the triple display route. Although I'm not very clued up on displays prices at the moment.

From what I have been reading, and with your opinion, 16:10 does seem to be the best option. At this point I am pretty set on tri-monitoring, so if I have to save longer that is ok. I know this is a video card question, but it pertains to this post: Do you think that two evga 560ti (1gb's) will be enough to tri-monitor? I will be playing Crisis 2, Sky Rim when it comes out, Borderlands, and Modern Warfare 2. I hope to be able to have the graphics at least most of the way up on said games. Really wish I had bought my 560ti from EVGA so I could use the trade-up program :(

From what I have been reading, and with your opinion, 16:10 does seem to be the best option. At this point I am pretty set on tri-monitoring, so if I have to save longer that is ok. I know this is a video card question, but it pertains to this post: Do you think that two evga 560ti (1gb's) will be enough to tri-monitor? I will be playing Crisis 2, Sky Rim when it comes out, Borderlands, and Modern Warfare 2. I hope to be able to have the graphics at least most of the way up on said games. Really wish I had bought my 560ti from EVGA so I could use the trade-up program :(

I used to have a 2GB 5970, which gave it 1GB of usable video memory. To be brutally honest, 1GB is not going to be enough for 3x1080p for any semi-modern game with decent AA. You could do 3x1080p for $500 if you bought really cheap monitors, but i would rather spend the money on 2x560ti's and 1 - 2560x1600 monitor.

As you can see i now have 2x6970's which each have 2GB of memory, I was very unhappy with prior performance at 5760x1080. However, i am happy with my 6970's at 5760x1080. There was a huge bottlenecking issue, especially with games like Civilization V. Crysis 2 will murder you at 5760x1080, don't even try to go there, even with 2 560's you would be short by a long shot.

Go with one monitor, trust me on that.

+I have 3x23" monitors and they need a HUGE desk. Remember, it is about 6 feet of display or more with the bezel and angles included.

Well, as it stands I could sell my 560 and current monitor for around $300. Is the general consensus that two 560ti's will not be enough for 1920X1080 gaming on three monitors?

Well, as it stands I could sell my 560 and current monitor for around $300. Is the general consensus that two 560ti's will not be enough for 1920X1080 gaming on three monitors?

I'm curious about this as well. From what I've been reading over the last month, two 560 Tis with 2 GB of memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261099) seemed like they would do the trick for a triple monitor setup. The extra RAM was supposed to give better antialiasing performance at higher resolutions. I'd be interested to hear if anybody has experience with or thoughts on this.

is it possible to run 2 monitors to an older video card, for doing work, and one to the 560 for gaming?

Back