• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Game pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zamboanga

Registered
Hi,
I'm on the verge to buy an new pc with following details:

Case Lian Li PC7B
Psu BeQuiet Straigh Power 400 watt
Cooling 2x Scythe Slip Stream 500rpm
Motherboard ASUS M5A87
Processor AMD Ahtlon II X3 445 3 x 3,3Ghz
Cooler Scythe Mugen 2
Memory 4GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz CL7
SSD OCZ Agility 3
Hard disk Samsung Spinpoint F3 Ecogreen 1 TB
Graphic card MSI Radeon HD6870
Screen Samsung Syncmaster 23” 2333T
All for 820 $.

Now is my question:

what would be the effect if the processor is replaced
by AMD Phenom II x4 840 (4x3,2ghz) (+ 13$)
or AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (6x 2,8Ghz ) (+42 $).

Is the difference noticeable ? Or not ?

Thx for all your replies.

Last edited:
What is your budget for this build? Right offhand I would up the psu, up the ram if you can to 1600.. though I know cas gets more expensive at that point.

For gaming, I would stick wiht the 840, but if you're not too worried about price it doesnt hurt to have more cores for other tasks.. or even future games that can utilize more than 2-4 cores.

Thx. The 820$ is about the budget. Since I still have to buy seperate keyboard+mouse+speakers. The PC is mainly for games for the kids.
Will they experience the difference of the 840 or the 445 ? 16$ is not the end of the world, but if it's not needed ?..

They likely would't see the difference in "most" games since a lot of them do not use more than 2 cores usually. Even if they wouldn't see much diff from the 445 to 840, you could still get the 840 as a just in case.. since its only like 14 bucks.

This seems pretty underpowered for $820. Lemme slap a sandy bridge build together.
This is a lot more powerful for about the same price after MIR. No need to get a SSD and then have a system on a nearly outdated platform.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
You're right. I will go for the 840. Thx.

Isn't that a Propus core CPU and thus very low in cache? I'd suggest going to a more powerful PSU and getting something like a 955/965BE CPU. They can be found for 130 or 140 now. Very few games will use 6 cores on an 1o55/1090/1100T. If you play a lot of simulators, then get the six core. For most games get the good 4 core.

edit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808&cm_re=AMD_955-_-19-103-808-_-Product

Apparently you can get a 955 Black edition for $113 USD. That is definitely very nice CPU bang for that amount of buck.

Back