• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need SSD Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agirovich21

I recently bought a 32GB OCZ SSD. I want to put my OS (win7) on it, but am having trouble and couldn't find any info on other websites. As of right now, I have 64 bit Win7 professional installed on a 1TB drive. I did a fresh install of win7 on my SSD, but now I need to figure out how to run all my programs i have on the 1TB HD when i boot into the SSD. sorry if this is vague, but i will answer any and all questions as i would really like to get this done.

My build is listen below--
CPU- AMD 965 quad core
GPU- ATI Radeon HD 5570
PSU- Does it matter? its 1000w
RAM- 12GB Corsair XMS3
HD- 1TB western digital drive
(also the 32gb ocz onyx 32gb SSD)

Again, sorry if this is vague but im not sure what else to say. Thanks for any help!

You need to reinstall all the programs you had in the 1TB disc.

When you install a program, all information - drive, path, drivers, dll's, version... etc is noted in Windows registry.

Your new W7 on the SSD contain no information in Registry about the programs installed on your 1TB disc - and it's not possible to transfer the information from one registry (your W7 on 1TB disc) to another (new W7 on SSD).

PS: Okay, it is possible to move registry information, but it's gonna take forever, and I bet it's gonna require insane amout of time and you will get errors

So buying a ssd for the reason of using it for the OS is not a good idea? I know people have done it, I just wanted faster boot times etc.

If its not a problem, start from scratch, and install Win7 only, on the SSD. Then, as you install your other programs, direct those that you can onto the 1tb drive.

Thanks stool. Cleared it up for me. Now that i know that, is there a tool\program that could help me move the programs I already have onto the new ssd OS, possibly via external drive? Free or paid

Buying a SSD as OS drive will propably be the best investment you made so far. No HDD (mechanical harddrive) comes near a SSD in performance and response times.

As I said in my first post - moving or copying allready installed applicatios is a pain in the a..

Un-install them, clean registry if needed and install again and install them to your 1TB disc

Your registry will be a mess, each time you start up you will get loads of errors.

Clean install of Windows 7 on SSD

Install your apps/games...etc on your 1TB disc

Yeah, unfortunately when you move just the OS to a different drive you have to reinstall all of your applications. Not much of a way around it. You wouldn't need to do that if you were able to image the entire partition over to an SSD, but then you'd need a much better drive.

SSDs are definitely worth the investment, even though it's a hassle now. :)

Yeah, unfortunately when you move just the OS to a different drive you have to reinstall all of your applications. Not much of a way around it. You wouldn't need to do that if you were able to image the entire partition over to an SSD, but then you'd need a much better drive.

SSDs are definitely worth the investment, even though it's a hassle now. :)

And manually align

Okay. I already did the fresh install on the SSD. Can I partition my hdd so I can keep my current install and use it for the ssd install?

Back